Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Oh darn...

Randomness5678

Well, I have to hand it to you. You were right. I just got my 5" today and it was supposed to be partly cloudy 20% chance of rain. The box shows up at my house, it starts raining and is still cloudy. I live in the US. Yes...it works over here too. I got the Celestron Astromaster 130eq-md. I looked at the eye pieces and they were HUGE! So I brought up the ones for my 2.4" and made the discovery that the ones I owned before were not 1.25s. If I thought the ones I owned were awesome these are epic. I am looking forward to the great new view. Looks like clear skies next week. Now I have to find out how/why you have to align the mirrors and how to use the north star (German eq mount)....

Hoping for clear skies

-Rand0m

:clouds1:

Things are even more frustrating on my end, skies clear with the best transparency I have seen in weeks (M42 looked like it was on fire, pale green is an understatement!)...but the seeing is as bad as I have ever it. Pickering 1 to a optimistic Pickering 3 every 15 minutes. Felt like I was being water-boarded.I wanted to test my new eyepieces out on Jupiter, guess how that went? :)

The 130EQ is a capable platform, tighten up the tripod and make sure the mount is running smooth, you can count on some great fun with it, good wide field and high mag potential.

However, I do recommend investing in a finder and mouthing it with dual-side tape, if you don't want to drill. The red dot "finder", is perhaps the most useless contraption I have had the displeasure of using...save yourself the headache, I am not exaggerating one bit. I find it sad to think how many potential amateur astronomers must have given up due to its uselessness.

Things are even more frustrating on my end, skies clear with the best transparency I have seen in weeks (M42 looked like it was on fire, pale green is an understatement!)...but the seeing is as bad as I have ever it. Pickering 1 to a optimistic Pickering 3 every 15 minutes. Felt like I was being water-boarded.I wanted to test my new eyepieces out on Jupiter, guess how that went? :)

The 130EQ is a capable platform, tighten up the tripod and make sure the mount is running smooth, you can count on some great fun with it, good wide field and high mag potential.

However, I do recommend investing in a finder and mouthing it with dual-side tape, if you don't want to drill. The red dot "finder", is perhaps the most useless contraption I have had the displeasure of using...save yourself the headache, I am not exaggerating one bit. I find it sad to think how many potential amateur astronomers must have given up due to its uselessness.

I have used my red dot finder without any problems at all. But each to his own. I did enjoy how you worded your point though - made me smile :)

Clear skies!! ;)

Scott.

I have used my red dot finder without any problems at all. But each to his own. I did enjoy how you worded your point though - made me smile :)

Clear skies!! ;)

Scott.

That's probably because you're using the SW version Scott :wink2: - I've heard many complaints about the Celestron RDF.

CFN

I love my astromaster - had some great views with it. But yes I did replace that RDF pretty quickly with a fairly cheap and ordinary one from ebay that cost me £14 - being able to actually find things now is worth far more than that!

I love my astromaster - had some great views with it. But yes I did replace that RDF pretty quickly with a fairly cheap and ordinary one from ebay that cost me £14 - being able to actually find things now is worth far more than that!

I've got the Celestron 114eq with RDF, I've heard many people say it's rubbish, how do you replace it though and with what? What is the best finder to use and how do you fix it to the tube? Do you have to remove the original RDF? I'm a bit girly and not technical so the idea of double sided tape sounds right up my street!

Archived