Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

VDB27 area part 1

peter shah

This has been the most challenging image ive done to date, extremely faint week signal and poor conditons creating very complex colour gradients ive done several attempts at processing each failing....i think im there now though,

It is the first part of a two panel mosaic, the area is in Taurus and is part of a network of dark flux.

Exposure is 12hours of exposures in LRGB over two months picking the best nights to maximise the frame quality.....just got to get the next bit now!

Thanks for looking

Peter

post-4526-0-94541900-1350338579_thumb.jp

That has DIFFICULT written all over it , Peter. That kind of dust and faint reflection nebulosity needs a man of character to get after it! Well done. Entirely new to me and very fine. Let's hope that the longer nights will help you to nail the rest as well as you have nailed this.

Olly

I can only imagine the work involved to get that result, and it's a wonderful image!

The two trails made me curious of what stacking routine you used. A sigma reject would get rid of them - which I know you know - so I am guesing you did something else, and that you did that for a good reason with this set of data. I'm basically trying to steal some knowledge here...

The thumbnail isn't opening but I'm familar with that part of the sky. Lots of dim dark nebula. The thumbnail looks good. Are you going to image the worm or snake just below this panel?

Anyway looking forwarwd to seeing the full result. Good luck with the clear winter nights.

thanks everyone

I can only imagine the work involved to get that result, and it's a wonderful image!

The two trails made me curious of what stacking routine you used. A sigma reject would get rid of them - which I know you know - so I am guesing you did something else, and that you did that for a good reason with this set of data. I'm basically trying to steal some knowledge here...

i used an average combine, i found it keeps a lot more of the faint info, with sd mask or sigma it is very easy to lose valuable data if the settings are not spot on......plus my pc is so under powered it wouldnt be able to cope with the process

The thumbnail isn't opening but I'm familar with that part of the sky. Lots of dim dark nebula. The thumbnail looks good. Are you going to image the worm or snake just below this panel?

Anyway looking forwarwd to seeing the full result. Good luck with the clear winter nights.

yep thats it the tube, snake or worm whatever you want to call it passes a beautiful bright star which i just love

many thanks everyone, Here is a teaser giving an idea of the full field of view im intending of doing. Im going for longer subs on this frame.

The lower part is only two 900s Luminance frames, and already im seeing the benifit of longer subs. I think this is a lesson for me.

post-4526-0-86439600-1350679894_thumb.jp

thanks again everyone, weather looks bad again, who knows when ill get this finished

Didn't think we'd get to see images like these from the UK Peter, very well done on getting to this stage!

(just imagine what the AG12 would pull out of decent dark skies!)

Cheers

Tim

i know tim, i would love to take it on a trip somewhere

Archived