SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

First Jupiter this season

JamesF

Indeed seeing is the limiting factor, the turbulence can be scary, throwing Jupiter around all over the place even at 1:00 am never mind the smaller scale bluring that occurs if there has been a hint of sun during the day, one day I will get to a dark sky sight ....

I'd not considered before the effects of sunny days in urban and suburban environments. It can be a bit grubby here after a sunny day, but the effect must be minimal compared with all the concrete, brick, stone and tarmac that's ejecting heat into the atmosphere in a more built-up area.

James

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've not used drizzle because I don't really understand what it does. I know that's a criticism widely levelled at wavelets as well, but at a basic level I do have a general idea of how wavelets work from the description in the Handbook of Astronomical Image Processing. Is there an explanation of the drizzle process anywhere?

James

I've just tried restacking all my images from that night using 1.5x drizzle in AS!2. I'm not stunned by the results, I have to say. I wouldn't say they're actually an improvement at all, and there are definite artefacts (faint vertical banding being the most obvious) showing up in the images that aren't visible in the undrizzled versions that I can see.

I'll have another go on my next set to see how they come out. It looks like we might get a clear night or even two towards the end of the week.

James

Archived