Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

jupiter oct 15th

neil phillips

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

H Stuart Seeing was a bit calmer than the last outing. I was going to use the powermate. But decided to stay on the 3x celestron with tube and filter wheel extension. it was a healthy focal length. with the benefit of being a bit sharper than 11 meters. something i said i was going to be trying. This was 30 fps. i tried some at 60 also. havent processed those yet. time for a rest.

Dew was crazy tonight. like i had thrown the scope in a swimming pool. Did you go out ?

Nice pic there Neil. Well done for being awake enough to process.

I know what you mean about the dew. My heater tape was on full for a while even with a shield. I think I could go for a swim on my corrector plate without them !!

Lovely work Neil! what do you think of the celestron 3x! it certainly looks like it captures some nice detail, is it an apo barlow or a doublet?

I am still learning about it to be honest simon. But i think this is the best result with it so far. Looking at more captures from this night as i write. It says its a 3 element design.

Great result Stuart. These heavy dew nights stop me from doing any kind of collimation as the corrector dews up as soon as I take off the dew shield to access the collimation screws.

Cheers,

Chris

I know me and Stuart both use 10" scopes but i havent become him yet Chris :huh: Couldnt you use a heater band for collimation then switch off. or just keep blow drying as your collimating

I know me and Stuart both use 10" scopes but i havent become him yet Chris :huh: Couldnt you use a heater band for collimation then switch off. or just keep blow drying as your collimating

A heater band without a dew shield is able to keep the outer edge of the corrector clear but it doesn't have enough power to keep most of it clear. There is a lot of glass to keep warm in a 14" corrector and once it starts to dew up it seems there is no stopping it!

I have not tried a hair dryer; good thinking, that could work. Though I would want to do this early on before the neighbours go to bed rather than waking them up and have them wondering why there is a bald bloke in his garden with a hair dryer...

Chris

A heater band without a dew shield is able to keep the outer edge of the corrector clear but it doesn't have enough power to keep most of it clear. There is a lot of glass to keep warm in a 14" corrector and once it starts to dew up it seems there is no stopping it!

I have not tried a hair dryer; good thinking, that could work. Though I would want to do this early on before the neighbours go to bed rather than waking them up and have them wondering why there is a bald bloke in his garden with a hair dryer...

Chris

Be careful under low temps Chris, with the air of the dryer being cool is better, ( safer ) i am not sure if cracking has ever occured if the dryer is hot, you may want to ask other C14 users

I was going to say I don't remember taking that shot unless I've been sleep imaging again! :grin: Its been a frustrating couple of weeks for me Damian, heavy cold coinciding with several clear mornings and then on Saturday went to a party so missed that clear night too.

I'd certainly try a hairdryer Chris though you do have a very large surface area to deal with unlike me with a small secondary. Personally I think dew shields are more trouble than they are worth.

Damien does do lots of work in the uk. And for the most part its pretty much some of the best images that the uk sky will allow. My 245 mm scope can not match a C14 under good conditions. Though i appreciate the kind words. Its simply not true that Damien only gets remarkable results abroad.

I was going to say I don't remember taking that shot unless I've been sleep imaging again! :grin: Its been a frustrating couple of weeks for me Damian, heavy cold coinciding with several clear mornings and then on Saturday went to a party so missed that clear night too.

I'd certainly try a hairdryer Chris though you do have a very large surface area to deal with unlike me with a small secondary. Personally I think dew shields are more trouble than they are worth.

I know what you mean. i missed those mornings too. often with freezing temps, or just not up to imaging. ( old bones and all that ) Theres plenty of time. though things are hotting up a bit, i think this was my best night so far maybe ? a combination of hard work, slightly better seeing, and Jupiter getting bigger and brighter. Still not amazing results. But starting to show more promise. A image i am working on now, seems to show quite a lot of pole detail. I dont think the green will be up to this. and certainly not blue. Thats often what kills ultimate quality is poorer greens and blues

Heres a 150% resize RED

8091872717_0f2dc63507_o.png

Sorry Neil, I did not realise that I had credited your image to Stuart. That will teach me to start typing a reply before I have finished reading the thread, my brain is not designed for multi-tasking.

That red channel does look fantastic Neil. Good luck with the rest of the processing.

Cheers,

Chris

Another great image Neil. You are getting good image scale and detail. Dew is an issue at this time of year, I run mine at max setting on the C11. A hair dryer works well, don't get too close to the corrector plate, you want even heating not localised. The dew soon goes away.

regards

Peter

Another great image Neil. You are getting good image scale and detail. Dew is an issue at this time of year, I run mine at max setting on the C11. A hair dryer works well, don't get too close to the corrector plate, you want even heating not localised. The dew soon goes away.

regards

Peter

Hi Peter Yes i was talking to Chris about the dryer trick. Mentioning to be careful in sub zero temps with hot heat. Collimation moving is a issue i have to struggle with peter, i think its my focusser. I also need re coats on the mirrors.

Archived