SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Planetary Ringing

Darth Takahashi

Hi Guy's, sorry and Ladies!!! :smiley:

I need a little help here?

What causes the ringing effect around the planet?

I'm processing the AVI using Registax 6 in the usual manner, the final step being the wavelet sharpening and it is at this point that I start to get a ring around the outside of the planet and inside the disk of the planet?

Is this a stacking artefact or a problem with the wavelet sharpening?

Its not going to win any awards etc... but here is Jupiter from the 14/10/2012.

Imaging scope was my Mewlon M250S CR. I added the new CR baffle tube this weekend, so this is a test image to prove everything was working correctly after the installation. Collimation was rechecked but maybe a out by a hair! nothing significant. Seeing was crappy, but as I said I wanted to test the CR baffle. Imaging camera is a DMK21 and the gain was around 700 - 800 when I remember correctly :tongue:. IR pass filter fitted to the camera. It was about 05:30 in the morning so Jupiter was high in the sky.

Jup_IR_14_10_2012_065000_zps6e38ecbd.png

Its also the boring side of Jupiter but the ringing is clearly evident for all to see!!!

Jup_IR_14_10_2012_065237_zps021901de.png

With a little bit of de-noise / de-ringing but I'd sooner rather get rid of this at the capture stage if that's where the issue lies?

Are you using heavy sharpening (Regularised Richardson-lucy or Van Cittert)?

If so the technique most use do not like a sharp contrast change (steep curve in lum/colour) - this is the same for bright stars that also cause ringing. It's better to create a mask to stop what is already sharp to prevent it going negative (the dark ringing).

Are you using heavy sharpening (Regularised Richardson-lucy or Van Cittert)?

If so the technique most use do not like a sharp contrast change (steep curve in lum/colour) - this is the same for bright stars that also cause ringing. It's better to create a mask to stop what is already sharp to prevent it going negative (the dark ringing).

No, I'm just using the factory fitted wavelets in Registax; I haven't applied any other deconvolution routines...

Archived