Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

168P Hergenrother in a Quattro 10CF

Hi all,

Another shot of 168P. This is 20 x 2min subs stacked on the stars and on the comet head separately, then combined in PS. Taken on 2012 - 10 - 12 around 19:05 UT for the first sub. Minor Planet Centre reported magnitude 13.8 for this time. Imaged with modded 450D DSLR on my Quattro 10CF.

168P-Hergenrother.jpg

Here is another shot showing the comet moving past NGC7788 and its faint friends - top left.

NGC7768_final.jpg

Very nice images, i have also imaged this comet few times with C14/meade 0.33x reducer/ATIK16HR. It's a nice comet, let's hope that following year will show us more spectacular ones:)

If you like to check, i have added my observations in "Taivaanvahti" , place is new Finnish head Astronomical association Ursa's observation collection database. (sorry, no English option on website)

http://www.taivaanvahti.fi/observations/show/8423#3

Excellent images, especially the top one. I saw it for the first time last night, it was a lot fainter than i was expecting in the 120 refractor.

I agree about the faintness, the comet is m13.8 and most ot he stars in the frame are m12 or so. When I first looked at my subs in DSS I could see just one star. I thought I'd blown the data capture and had nothing useful.

Archived