Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Uranium235

My nemesis: M33

Not a great weekend to start off with as my laptop decided to give up the ghost (GPU failure), but at least I had last night to take the edge off the disappointment. Really clear up until about 11pm, when it started getting quite misty and by 2am I had to call it a night as the dew got to be a bit too much.

M33 for me, has always been a bit underwhelming once i'd processed the data. But I havent attempted it for a couple of years now, so its well overdue a bit of attention. Still, its just as tricky as I thought it would be. A low surface brightnes, so it needs lots of long subs to get anything meaningful out of it. Had to skimp on the colour a bit because the conditions were a little changeable at the time, so it was just red and blue 2x2bin. It will probably need another couple of hours L to reduce the noise.

I wouldnt say its in the bag yet, but its a start :)

M33: Triangulum Galaxy

18x600 (L), 8x240 (r&b 2x2 binned) synth green

ED80, Atik314L+, NEQ6

Setpoint: -15

Thanks for looking :)

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=74639

post-5513-0-39708600-1350252811_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Looking very nice Rob! You should get an Ha layer for this too, it's full of those star forming regions.

• Like 1

Going fine, but M33 is a bottomlesss pit. It acutally has a grainy visual texture which looks like noise.

Olly

That's looking really good!

I tried a few 300sec subs of this one myself a few weeks back...as you have demonstrated here it really does need the longer exposures to get th edetail out of it.

Nice one...

Thanks guys :)

Lewis, next time out I will get some more colour subs,maybe unbinned but I need to catch up on the green as well. Once those are done I will throw in some Ha.

Olly, I think I know what you mean when you describe the detail of m33 being more like noise. Its as if there is no real solidity about it, so it makes processing tricky. I think I will give it five or six hours luminance then call it quits.