Dobsonian for moon / planets?

Hi folks, still very new at this - had a refractor on a goto mount but rarely used it due to the difference in time it took to assemble & set-up & the time I had to do it in ( work, family, weather etc.). Now with even a little experience I know that a 'scope not used is the same as not having one so - I am still keen but now know that I need a scope that is a snap to set up but compact (garage full of bicycles (10), motorbikes (4) & kids stuff) & I fancy a Skywatcher 10" Flex tube goto. Could this be just the job & is it good for the moon / planets that I am still interested in as well as looking further out? I guess I just need a general telescope that I am also interested in taking to other areas (my sister-in-law has a lovely B&B next to the dark-sky sight in Dumfries & Galloway.

Thanks in anticipation. Andy.

The 250px is a great scope, but make sure you see one before you buy. Like any dob it is fast to setup but will need at least 30min cool down time to provide good views at high magnifications.

It's big and heavy but most people can easilly carry it in 1 piece. If for some reason (back problems, etc) you can't, then a 8" or 6" might be easier to carry and that will make you use it more often.

The 250px is a great scope, but make sure you see one before you buy. Like any dob it is fast to setup but will need at least 30min cool down time to provide good views at high magnifications.

It's big and heavy but most people can easilly carry it in 1 piece. If for some reason (back problems, etc) you can't, then a 8" or 6" might be easier to carry and that will make you use it more often.

And as we all know.............the best scope for you is the scope that you use most often.

The only reason why i can think that a Go-To refractor would take longer to set up then a Go-To Dob is because a refractor comes in more parts then a dob:

Go-To Refractor:

1/OTA

2/Mount

3/counter weights

4/tripod

5/power pack

6/added extras

Go-To Dob:

1/OTA

2/Base

3/Power pack

4/added extras

Ive spent the last 5 yrs refining my setup so that i have as few parts to transport and connect as possible when setting up. The Heritage 130P is my grab n go scope. It really is a one stop shop setup.

My 8SE is a 3-4 parter:

OTA,mount,tripod,power pack and added extras.

That's absolutely it Lukeskywalker - it wasn't the actual aligning, it was having to unpack, carry all these separate pieces out to the garden & then the assembling and back again. I also work nightshift in a very rural area & have the opportunity to use it there. A Flextube Dob seems like just the ticket.

As with any scope purchase, ideally you want to "try before you buy" and I would certainly recommend going along to a couple of public observation evenings just to check out the view of any big dobs that are present - in case you want to go bigger! :grin: :grin: :grin: Certainly the goto dobs are not cheap so you really want to make sure that any investment is going to match your expectations. A 10" dob is known as the goldilocks size in not being too small in providing good resolution but equally not too overwhelming to move around or transport to a dark site. I come from the camp that says get as big a scope as you can manage, as you know you will want to upgrade at some point and if the budget permits having such a scope now you will not only save money by avoiding all the upgrading in between but also save time by enjoying the views today.

Clear skies

James

For viewing planets and the moon, you probably want high power. At high power, say 200x-300x, objects move pretty fast without tracking. You can counteract this by buying wide-field, high power eyepieces, or you can buy a scope with tracking. Wide field eyepieces are usually more expensive than "standard" Plossl EP's, but they are definitely worth it.

I think the 10" GoTo Dob may be well worth the weight and wait (cooling time). I own an 8" Dob and I don't really mind the weight because I know the views it will give will always awe me and my family. I would have bought the 10" version of the scope I have, if I had a bit more money for a larger case and larger scope. Definitely go with the GoTo, because sometimes, I miss my little 90mm GoTo Mak. I never know what's out all the time anymore, but I really miss the challenge and reward of manually finding objects. Most people might have a smaller GoTo to help find an object, and then a larger Dob to get a better, more detailed view of it.

Thanks for that everyone - I will take the advice that it is a great scope & will try & see one in the flesh first. Can anyone tell me of a Skywatcher dealer anywhere near Scotland - I am unaware of any telescope dealers here?

Archived