SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Don't blame your 'scope, find a dark sky!!

I came back from Wales from a star party on Sunday & after all the rain we've had the Milky Way on Friday night was the best I'd ever seen it. When I went to SGL7 this year I was amazed at what I was able to see through my scope & the detail it was picking out. I don't get anything like that at home & I live in a village but still suffer quite badly with light pollution.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just how dark does it get in Wales? Have you got any SQM readings or ELM?

There are three places in the UK where I've had an SQM reading of 21.7 on more than one occasion and they are Kielder, Wales near Cardigan and Exmoor. Whilst Cardigan is dark I suspect there are large swathes of Wales that are just as or even slightly darker so it gets pretty dark there...

Ironically one of the sources of light pollution in Exmoor (there isn't much!) is south Wales...

Dark skies make a phenomenal difference to the viewing experience as others have said. When on holiday in dark parts of Cornwall I've taken a four inch refractor rather than the 14" Flextube and to be honest I've been pretty happy - the dark skies really make a difference.

James

Great post! The Roaches is very dark, I have been only three times this last year and only with the bino's thus far but the views are terrific. dark skies = good things :)

And it is 'paraphernalia'. Good effort though :laugh:

Clear skies

Scott.

I've yet to go to a really dark site.

But I have to say that living in Lancing in Sussex, just a 20 minute drive to my parents' house in Storrington, the amount of improvement is massive! Admittedly, they live out in the outskirts of the village), but I'm amazed at the difference just that makes.

I live a short drive away from some of the most darkest skies in the UK. Fortunately I bought my car with astronomy in mind and am able to pack the dob in with the tent gear. The last session was truly mindblowing and still makes me pause in awe with what I've seen. WELL WORTH IT.

Fordos, I really hope you can sort that problem out. If you've got a good relationship with the neighbours, tell them. You could even tell them you're studying GCSE astronomy and need a dark sky for the modules. :D

Another way to improve your view is to upgrade your eyepieces. Read the SGL EP thread for ideas and check out the different brands and suppliers. At the very least upgrade the stock EPs that came with your scope for higher quality equivalents such as Celestron X-Cel LX and BST ED ranges.

Another way to improve your view is to upgrade your eyepieces.

Whilst I agree that using good eyepieces helps, this is going somewhat against the original reason for this post. My main aim was to show that even a modest telescope setup would provide the beginner with significanlty better results if used under a dark sky rather than under the urban glow that a lot of us suffer from.

This thread is so true.

Last night i took my setup into richmond park, there are places that dark with almost 360 horizon view of treetops, it was awesome. Apart from the odd cyclists light in the distance and of course the park is locked to traffic at night, it was empty. Just had to be wary of wandering deer, who are getting frisky this time of year!

Archived