Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

feeling guilty

sunshine185

Looked outside about 1 am this morning, no cloud whatsoever, Jupiter, m45 were looking wonderful. I decided against setting up the dob, but today I feel guilty for not going out. The forecast is looking good again for tonight so I'll make up for it bit if out was cloudy and the forecast for the rest of the week was the same, I would feel terrible having missed the chance last night. Am I sad for feeling guilty for not going out when it was so clear?

How on earth will you live with the shame !!!

Get out tonight, or else........ :grin:

But seriously, I've been there myself many times. Sometimes I have the inclination, but not the weather and sometimes vice versa. At the moment, I've been out three times this week, last night for nearly five hours (very cold by that point so I came in and went to bed).

The seeing was very good last night so I imagine it will be similar tonight. Me, I'm having a night off with the wife and kid ;)

So, it's all up to you now!!

Scott :icon_cool:

Hobby or passion? Have done the same myself and then had to wait 3 weeks for the next clear night :eek: 21 nights I cursed myself for not just getting out there and making the most of it. Personally I am on a mission to get out and see as much as I can, until the next time I am tired and think I'll go to bed rather than go out :grin:

The universe has been here for 13 billion years, I might get to see 60 years worth if I am lucky :p

Got some good time last night , just looked out at 22:50 and its good again, frac is in the shed ready to roll but my maks in living room so would need to cool down, what will I do??

Nothing cos I'm sitting here comfy with a glass of decent single malt and frankly can't be bothered so for tonight the stars can be everyone else's :)

Bah, I thought it was going to be a good night, so i set up the mount early. Checked the sky at 7.oclock and the stars were out. Mounted my camera on the CG5, Polar aligned the mount, then the camera, then the finder. Started taking pics at 8.30. Took 30 subs and then decided to change lens and try M33. Set camera rolling and went in for a cuppa. I checked again ten minutes later and the clouds were all over. Grrr.

I decided to do some darks on another card and went to see what I had captured.

When I downloaded my subs they were all out of focus with bloated stars. I had forgotten to switch to manual focus when I activated the remote. When nothing happened I checked the camera and switched to manual focus and set the remote in action. It all seemed fine, but I guess the lens had tried to focus the first time I tried to use the remote and my lovely sharp focus had been scuppered. The really upsetting thing is that I took 120s unguided subs and had no perceivable star trails. in fact M31 was bang in the middle of every frame so the tracking must have been spot on.

The second batch of M33 were infested with clouds so they were a wast of time as well.

Just looout again and the sky is really clear. Its a shame I packed the gear away. blumming weather.

I seriously do feel guilty if i dont go out on a clear night because we dont get many. Then i think......................at best i may have 20-30 yrs observing ahead of me, so there really is no rush. Its not like the night sky is going to vanish in my life.

Even if i am too old and too disabled to use a scope, i can always just look upwards and take in the majestic views of the night sky.

I know how you feel mate, sometimes i am tired and warm watching the tv, look outside and see the beautiful night sky. I think to myself, ooo i could get the scope out and have a look, then i think about the hassle of gettin the scope out and i find myself sitting back down.. I feel guilty as hell.

Archived