SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

First crack at the Sculptor Galaxy

Quatermass

Managed to capture about 35 subs of this one before it decided to rain on me and send me running to the shed. But it was so worth it, there can be no greater thrill then seeing a galaxy like this for the first time. I lined up my finder scope to the area I thought it would be according to my star maps and took a 30 second shot.... nothing.. try again.. nope... ok a little to the left mybe.. BINGO! there it was WOW such a great moment when you first set eyes on it. Reminded me of how I felt when I saw the Sombrerro Galaxy this year brilliant and well worth staying up late for. This is one I will be going back to again soon as I get another clear night. It was a bit iffy this evening with patchy cloud but at least its a start. Got to love this hobby.

This is about 35 subs ISO 800 at 80 second each with 60 darks flats and bias shots.

post-8732-0-57628300-1350181550_thumb.jp

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well done QM. Looking good. Sorry about the rain; the forecast for my area said it would be wet throughout the weekend so I decided to mod the 350D (which I think it's going to take a while as I'm stuck with a couple of stripped screws in the filter assembly). Well, it's clear skies here; all night long and my camera in the workshop!

By the way, have you got a routine for when it rains? I mean, do you cover your scope? disassemble it in a hurry?

Well done QM. Looking good. Sorry about the rain; the forecast for my area said it would be wet throughout the weekend so I decided to mod the 350D (which I think it's going to take a while as I'm stuck with a couple of stripped screws in the filter assembly). Well, it's clear skies here; all night long and my camera in the workshop!

By the way, have you got a routine for when it rains? I mean, do you cover your scope? disassemble it in a hurry?

Thank you Pix, he he yes I do have a routine for when it rains I do one of two things, pack up and run into the shed as fast as I can with my telescope this means I am going to give up and call it a night OR get the big fishing brolly and stand there till the rain stops.

I try not to image if its going to look like rain but sometimes it just does if you prepared for it or not good old british weather hey. Hope you mod goes well for you its a bit tricky doing it but well worth it I think.

Isn't this another tree-scraper Mark ?

For the life of me I've no idea how you manage to image these ones!

Well done on the capture, looks fantastic especially with rain and weather recently.

Hi Badgers cheers mate, yes another tree scraper this one it is however very bright and easy to find so I would encourage you to give it a go. It comes into the right area about 1am for me and as long as the sky is clear makes for a pretty good target. When it came up on my laptop screen for the first time I was pretty gobsmacked by the size of it a very cool galaxy indeed. It was hazy last night so I will be coming back to it again when I get a really good clear night. I Just love seeing stuff like this for the first time its very exciting to see it for the first time ever.

Someone talking about the weather on the radio said we may get a period of high pressure at the end of the month - that will make a change and we might just get some imaging time, wouldn't that be marvellous? :)

That would be nice gina looks like its back to model planes for me

Sent from my GT-S5670 using Tapatalk 2

Hmmm.... I have plenty to occupy myself. ATM I'm working on my "double barrelled" wide-field setup and also an improved box for my Peltier cooled camera. After that there's the weather station and remote controlled CCTV system not to mention jobs around the place :D And I could tidy up and clear out my obsy, particularly the warm room :grin:

Archived