SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

IRIS NEBULA NGC7023

andyo

Hi,This was taken with the canon450 through the 200p and guided with th qhy5 finder guider.I used 17 subs of 200 secs,20 darks,25 flats and 25 bias frames.I had intended taking 25 subs but unfortunately on the 18th the bottom of the scope started knocking the side of the pier (just after I went for a brew,sods law).So after aborting and then taking the darks used the remaining time polar aligning(made easy with alignmaster),and getting the guiding aggresiveness as good as I could.When taking the flats I used a custom white balance so as to elliminate the red tinge(modded camera)

I dont know if this actualy makes any difference but after stacking in DSS the result seemed ok.If anyone can give info on this it would be appreciated.

All comments welcome

NGC7023IrisNebula12-10-12.png

That's abrilliant picture! Can I ask you? Did you take your subs in a dark site? I tried this last week in the suburbs with LP and the moon around and didn't manage to capture any nebulosity.

Thanks

Thanks Pixueto and thanks Gina there is some LP where I am but its not that bad about the same as a lot of suburbs.I tried various objects last week but the moon just washed them out so you may find it a lot better when the moons not about.I believe the moon last week was a harvest moon and the brightest so far this year.

Very nice image of the Iris, there is a good tutorial on the website astronomers do it in the dark detailing how to bring out more of the nebulosity that is worth a look as well.

Will take a look thanks for that Mark

Archived