SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

the veil nebula ?

rory

I was out viewing the Veil Nebula last night using my OIII filter. I centred up on the Western side, NGC 6960, (setting up the finder on 52 Cyg) and it was obvious and showed the witch's broom shape very well. I then nudged DEC to put 52 Cyg on the extreme edge of the filed of view of my 25 mm EP and then did a very long track in RA until the Eastern side, NGC6992, popped into view. Looking through the finder 52 Cyg was no longer visible so it shows how far I had to track. The Eastern side was quite a revelation and much brighter than I was expecting. I could see real structure and the overall shape was very obvious. Quite something.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
...... Quite something.....

Thats an apt description for the Veil. It went from an object that I did not think I could see with my scopes to my favourite summer deep sky object in a very short time - all thanks to wide angle eyepieces and narrowband filters :smiley:

I currently use a 2" Astronomik O-III with my Nagler 31mm and 20mm's to explore the Veil. I can get both sides in the single field of view with my ED102mm refractor :grin:

Thanks John and Michael. I think it will be an object that will be endlessly rewarding and there will be more to be gained with repeated viewings and familiarity. I'm still stunned that it's possible to see so much with a simple (relatively) set up in my back garden. I did drive through the region containing Pickering's Wisp rather rapidly and so I'll be on the look out for these weaker features next. Still very content with the Eastern and the Western sections though.

Archived