SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

stellarium

Interesting thoughts on stellarium , I haven't got a prob with it so far and have found it most usefull ,

But is there a free alternative ??

And as for that beiber bloke I think the oxygen starved fruit of bealzebubs shrivelled loins is quite possibly the most polite description of him I can muster....

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting thoughts on stellarium , I haven't got a prob with it so far and have found it most usefull ,

But is there a free alternative ??

And as for that beiber bloke I think the oxygen starved fruit of bealzebubs shrivelled loins is quite possibly the most polite description of him I can muster....

Good question regarding a free alternative to stellarium.

I dont know of one but as i'm 100% happy with stellarium i woudn't need an alternative.

I wonder if Justin Bieber has stellarium! :rolleyes2:

He pull the girls if he did!! :evil6:

Would anyone care to go back 2012 yrs 10 mths and 15 days and see if there is a star hanging over bethlehem.

I laughed at this but was still stupid enough to delve into Wickipedia to read up on the "star" :), some complications:

a. Where were the three wise men when they seen it.

b. What date was it when they seen it

In your own time, carry on :D

Jim

I laughed at this but was still stupid enough to delve into Wickipedia to read up on the "star" :), some complications:

a. Where were the three wise men when they seen it.

b. What date was it when they seen it

In your own time, carry on :D

Jim

Loved this!!

We can go back to the first moon landing and watch it happen on stellarium!! :grin:

How cool would that be!!

The three wise men (kings) came from the east. It would have taken them some weeks to travel to Bethlehem. So...somewhere in modern day Syria, Jordan, Saudi Arabia or Iraq and anywhere between September/October and 25th December. Oh hang on we have only had this calender since 1582!

Anyway who does a tax audit over Christmas - didn't they know the trains only operate a Sunday service at best? Ahh...maybe that's why they had to use the donkey! Now it all starts to make sense. :grin:

Sailor: I will try to find the orbit option and see if we are going to be spared!

The problem we have is this, to see the "star" over Belhleham you have to know the location of the three wise men, then put that position into Stellarium as "home" so the viewer is now looking at the star as seeing by them on that fateful day, if you then travel overland you should then get to the stable :), you have one month to complete the test starting now!!

Jim

I do have one problem with Stellarium which has only surfaced in v0.11.4 and that is when a target is picked and the zoom function is used it takes about five seconds to adjust and after that the programme tends to lag quite a bit on each keystroke, this is happening on two laptops so something wrong somewhere. I have learnt to zoom just so much to keep the programme running smoothly :).

Jim

Having looked at stellarium and our Moon in particular i noticed that tomorrow (Friday The 26th of October) at 19:02 UK Time, the satellite Cosmos 1867 passes over the surface of the moon.

If by some miracle it's a clear night, would i be able to see the satellite pass over the surface of the moon with my 200p Dob?

I've never seen one do that before and it would be fantastic to see!!

Thanks all! :smiley:

Myself I just regard Stellarium as a guide and although somewhat accurate I would not expect to see the satellite, it would be fleeting and might just miss the moon disc from your position. What I would do is get the moon in vision on a webcam and start it up five minutes before the time of flight across the disc and five minutes after then you may just catch it if all is okay. I see satellites crossing my vision in the eyepiece all the time and sometimes on the webcam but as I said fleeting, hope that will help.

Jim

Myself I just regard Stellarium as a guide and although somewhat accurate I would not expect to see the satellite, it would be fleeting and might just miss the moon disc from your position. What I would do is get the moon in vision on a webcam and start it up five minutes before the time of flight across the disc and five minutes after then you may just catch it if all is okay. I see satellites crossing my vision in the eyepiece all the time and sometimes on the webcam but as I said fleeting, hope that will help.

Jim

Thanks Jim!

Yes that's just what i thought but wasn't sure how accurate the satellites would be, time-wise.

Thanks for your help,i appreciate it! :smiley:

Archived