Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

stellarium

Hi all!

We all know that stellarium is an absolutely fantastic tool to use and having messed about with it, like looking at what the sky would have looked like at the time i was born i went further back in time.In fact i went back as far as it goes to 99,999 B.C then as far forward as it goes to 99,999 A.D!! :eek:

I found that very strange but cool, looking back and forward all those years, but what i really want to know is, how accurate is it going so far into the past and the future?

Thanks!! :smiley:

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would think quite accurate, modern Science can predict from known facts the general movement of the Heavens as we see it from Earth, hence your published star position tables and relative Astronomical data which is updated and republished from time to time :)

John.

I saw a post not long ago, about some of the exclusive hemispheres Southern and Northern objects, were visible in the other hemisphere, and Stell shows this. Ive never had a look though.

Stellarium is fantastic!!

Since its a rarity to have a clear night i spend most of my time looking at stellarium!!

We all need our fix!! :grin:

well apart from the earth which will be wiped out by a meteor in 2029 but for the rest pretty accurate :grin:

There was me thinking if I survived the Mayan apocolypse then I would make a go at restarting the human race, but if there is only another 17 years then I may not bother. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

There was me thinking if I survived the Mayan apocolypse then I would make a go at restarting the human race, but if there is only another 17 years then I may not bother. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

well i often wonder if you could start a rumour,people would eventually treat it as fact and the cycle continues till eventually the astroid on 29th june 2029 crashes through the atmosphere :grin:

Well, on a positive note 2029 and the end of the world might bring clear skies!! :icon_scratch:

Just be a shame we wont be here to see it!!! :icon_rolleyes:

If this is to happen then I am sure world governments will produce a plan to divert the thing from its course, there again if things continue as they with austerity measures we may not be able to afford it :D

John.

Actually, that's a very good point. If a deadly asteroid was on a collision course with Earth then would we not be able to stop it simply because we don't have enough money? Or would the governments, for once, forget about money and just build whatever it is we need to stop the asteroid?

If this is to happen then I am sure world governments will produce a plan to divert the thing from its course, there again if things continue as they with austerity measures we may not be able to afford it :D

John.

I think that the world governments would have more important things to worry about than the end of the world!!

Like which old folks homes are going to close first or how to screw the citizens out of even more money before its too late!! :evil6:

Hate to do this:

Stellarium:-

Can I get the constellation lines without the pictures?

Can I make the user menu's that appear readable, press F1 get the help screen and the text and background make it almost unreadable.

I am working on the assumption that if I could read the screens that I might be able to do something useful with it.

There is a menu on the bottom and the first one on the left is Constellation Lines ( C ), regarding the Help (F1), mine is black and grey and stands out okay. I do not have a background, in the left side options panel there is an option (F4) for Sky and Viewing, for Sky I have unticked Atmosphere so the background is black. I would suggest you run through all the options in both panels to get a feel of the programme and when you have it as you want click F2 and in the Main click Save Settings to keep what you have on screen, hope that is of some help.

Jim

But surely everybody knows the world's going to end on 21/12/2012 (or is it 20/12/2012?)? ;)

..which begs the question: why do people produce books/cds (thus making money) about the world ending, when there'll be no world in which to enjoy their wealth?

Answer: they don't believe it will end but prey upon gullible impressionable people.

I reckon if/when the world 'ends' it'll be without warning, when nobody's predicted.

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2

..which begs the question: why do people produce books/cds (thus making money) about the world ending, when there'll be no world in which to enjoy their wealth?

Answer: they don't believe it will end but prey upon gullible impressionable people.

Absolutely agree with this!

If I select Lines than I have to wind them up to see them when the sky is dark, I then also get the graphic picture of the constellation as well.

The only time I get lines only is if I have it running now, 5:00pm, and it is day light as a sky, once it gets dark the lines fade away.

The menu's that appear I have are a grey green with greyish/black text, literally cannot read it when it is displaying a night sky. Worse is that the upper portion is lighter but fades to a darker setting lower down the window.

Tried the Help that comes with it and gone to the user guide online, no use so far.

Archived