Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_celestial_motion.thumb.jpg.a9e9349c45f96ed7928eb32f1baf76ed.jpg

lukebl

Catseye Nebula, NGC6543

Hi all,

I have had a go here with the Catseye Nebula, NGC6543. It's a real pain because the central core (the catseye) is tiny and intensely bright (I could pick it up on 1/10 expusures) but the outer shell is very faint. Unfortunately the difference is so great, and my Newtonian's diffraction spikes are so bright, that it wasn't possible to make a nice smooth composition. So here we go.

Here's the overall nebula, 18 x 5 minute exposures each of Oiii and Ha, SXVF-H9, 250mm f/4.7 Newtonian processed in DSS and Photoshop. It's like a gorgoeus delicate flower. Need more work, though!

8082398965_b0b5dee439_c.jpg

And here's the exactly same view, but exposed for the core, 20 x 60s exposures in HA

8082393330_9708d86f11_c.jpg

And here's a hugely cropped view of the catseye itself. Not highly detailed, as it's only a few pixels across, It's not going to win any prizes but I'm pleased to have captured the characteristic shape. 12 x 60s each of HA and Oiii.

8082399241_bff2b17189_c.jpg

And here for fun is the core superimposed onto the main image, which shows just how tiny it is in comparison with its outer shell:

8082393114_dcb722a432_c.jpg

Edited by lukebl
  • Like 2

What an interesting object :) The magnified central part is lovely and I think you've done well to show both parts - the difference in luminosity must be enormous :)

Excellent work. I like the little red boomerang "bit" bottom right of the flower. Well done on the outer flower structure processsing.

You have 2 great pictures in one there. Quite a processing challenge to blend the two as well as you say.

Tom.

Bit like M42 needs a range of exposures blended together to get the whole effect - Great work

Thanks for posting this

I was attempting this last month and was blowing the core out and did not got reduce the exposures enough

I can see another attempt when the glow ball is not arround

Very nice cropped image

Steve

Thanks all. Yes, a difficult one. You need a very short exposures for the catseye, but very long ones for the shell. The almost stellar core makes big diffraction spikes from the Newtonian on the long exposures, so you can't get an nice image made up of a series of different exposures like you can with M42.

Edited by lukebl

I thought I'd try this again this evening with a barlow, taking a lot of short exposures to capture the detail in the 'eye'. The trouble is that I'm now getting some nice subs of the nebula, but no stars to stack on. How do you stack if there aren't any stars? I'm using DSS.

I'm not sure about stacking without stars in DSS

I've got a faint outer halo with 30 to 40 mins subs :shocked: using the 200mm RC at f9 for which I now have a reducer

so its a bit quicker

We might think about combining our data at some stage

Steve

I havn't a clue if it would work but you may be able to stack in Registax 5 - possibly using "gentre of gravity" to try and persuade the software that you have a planet in the picture! May be worth a shot?

PS - A really good subject and an interesting challenge for you!

Nice image Luke.

Great comparison of the bright core and faint frill.

Very interesting and I like the way you blended the two to give the perspective nice one