Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Viewing Jupiter

When Viewing Jupiter at 200* mag I can clearly make out a dark band just above and below the equator. Is there a way I can see more detail and maybe the great red spot? I have a set of filters but am unsure which works best with which planet... any advice from you knowledgable folks???

What scope are you using ?

There are 3 bands clearly visible at the moment around the equatorial region but it's worth waiting until Jupiter is higher in the sky to get clearer views.

Even with my 10" aperture scope I rarely use more than 200x on Jupiter - it does not seem to respond to high power in the same way that, say, Saturn does.

Also, the more subtle details do take some time to resolve so you need to spend some time studying the planet - 30 minutes or more. Your eye will adapt and start to tease out the finer details.

I don't use filters on the planet myself.

Hi - not so sure on the filters, maybe blue to help bring out the Spot (assuming its on the side of the planet facing us when you are looking at it)?

I just tried x200 on Jupiter and got the bands and thats about it. I think the seeing conditions aren't so good tonight, though. I was seeing slightly better detail at x100 or less (albeit smaller image :-)). As soon as I pushed the magnification over 100 I could see the image degrade, and the air seemed to shimmer or boil so that the image wobbled. Seems very dewey and the air feels wet where I am, so thats not helping.

I'm using 180x on Jupiter and can see four bands plus two darker caps and possibly a hint of the GRS just coming round the limb on the opposite side to the moons.

I find a Baader Neodymium filter helps with Jupiter. was going to go to bed but might just wait another half hour.

I'm using the SW 250px dob. I didn't think to reduce the mag any less than 200, but did see degradation when I increased the mag above this. Maybe next time I should swap my 6mm for the 13mm to see if I can tease out a little more detail on the lower mag.

the atmosphere is certainly wet tonight... I have never seen my scope have noticeable moisture on the outside of the tube before... Very cold on the hands! :grin:

Hi - not so sure on the filters, maybe blue to help bring out the Spot (assuming its on the side of the planet facing us when you are looking at it)?

I just tried x200 on Jupiter and got the bands and thats about it. I think the seeing conditions aren't so good tonight, though. I was seeing slightly better detail at x100 or less (albeit smaller image :-)). As soon as I pushed the magnification over 100 I could see the image degrade, and the air seemed to shimmer or boil so that the image wobbled. Seems very dewey and the air feels wet where I am, so thats not helping.

I went to my dark site tonight and the seeing is really bad, i found x80 was about best view of Jupiter

Yes - the seeing conditions can make the finest equipment perform poorly.

Sorry I didn't spot that you had a 250PX in my 1st reply !

You should get fine views of Jupiter with that, in due course :smiley:

Looked absolutely fantastic tonight, I kept on looking at it between 3AM and 5AM and it looked perfect. First time too. If any of you would have been brave enough to stay viewing that late (maybe you did and just fell asleep at the 'scope?) there was a meteor that passed right over it, which just topped my first viewing of it!

I was at 130x by the way.

Archived