Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

How to make someone feel small.

Brighton Belle

I drove more than an hour today to visit an astronomy shop, the only one anywhere near me.

When I told the owner I had a Celestron 114eq he actually sniggered. Then spent the next 15 mins explaining just how rubbish it is and how he could have done me a much better deal for less.

Now, my scope was a birthday present from my daughter, she saved hard for it and did lots of research on the 'net, this scope was highly recommended for beginners. I was thrilled to get it.

I have bought a few filters and a couple of extra lenses and desperately hope I will be able to view something.

I did buy a couple of small items from this guy today, simply to justify the long drive, but I was really quite upset :cry:

Ok, rant over.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is a shame. I started about 20 years ago with a scope just like it and it served me well until my ability, desire and wallet demanded something more.

There can be a bit of snobbery in this hobby, but we are all astronomers together, enjoying the same thing, which is observing the beauty of the universe.

Clear skies,

Chalk this one down to a bit of market research of Astro retailers NOT to give your business too. :(

It goes to show that some Shop owners are not salesmen and want to earn a quick buck now rather than have your business over the longer term.

And some people wonder why they go out of business...

Name and shame, I say. It's arrogant and unpleasant. Everyone has to start somewhere and a "hoiier than thou" attitude was never a benefit to anyone.

James

My daughter bought me the same scope for Fathers Day last year and I was chuffed to bits. It served me very well and to be honest was a damned site easier to move about and get set up than the 200p that I have now. Enjoy your scope and don't worry you will see loads with it. :smiley:

My daughter bought me the same scope for Fathers Day last year and I was chuffed to bits. It served me very well and to be honest was a damned site easier to move about and get set up than the 200p that I have now. Enjoy your scope and don't worry you will see loads with it. :smiley:

Indeed. My first experience was with a newt of exactly this size. One look at Saturn was all I needed - I was hooked! :)

Don't let this knoob (please remove one O. ). Upset u . U enjoy what u have and at the end of the day it will be his loss. There are plenty of other places to spend your hard earned cash.

*cough* no comment *cough*

I concur, nothing to see here, please move along .......

What a shame that you had this rather poor experience. Some dealers will never learn and it sounds like *your* dealer may be one who hasn't learnt yet.

Have you considered joining Adur AS - just down the road from you.

Archived