SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M45 with the ST80

andyboy1970

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was a reverse sort of moment, I had swapped my DMK that I was guiding with over onto the 200p in readiness for Jupiter and while I waited I stuck the Canon on the ST80.

So guided with a DMK on a 200p!

And it worked out very well. :) What about the Jupiter image, did that come out well?

It was a reverse sort of moment, I had swapped my DMK that I was guiding with over onto the 200p in readiness for Jupiter and while I waited I stuck the Canon on the ST80.

So guided with a DMK on a 200p!

... And why not? :D I do that as well, although with a QHY5 not a DMK!

Excellent result from the little ST80... I think the blueness of the stars and Neb in M45 has helped hide the CA that is visible otherwise. I used to use an ST80 clone for DSO's and the CA is clearly visible on non blue bright stars. I do like mine though, lovely little scope.

Excellent result from the little ST80... I think the blueness of the stars and Neb in M45 has helped hide the CA that is visible otherwise. I used to use an ST80 clone for DSO's and the CA is clearly visible on non blue bright stars. I do like mine though, lovely little scope.

To some extent the blue haloes can be edited out in software processing. I had a quick play with your image- the haloes are gone and so is the colour gradient (I hope!)

m45_2.jpg

I remember recommending an ST80 for imaging to someone last year who was on a very tight budget and it didn't seem to go down at all well. I think your M45 shows that you get a great bang for your buck, well done:)

• 1 month later...

Good effort.. better than no image and just as much fun making it as an excotic scope... Thats why a did M13 with a Tal RS a few months ago.

Maybe we should ask the mods for an imaging on a budget sub category :)

After seeing these I'm definitely going to have a go with my ST80 next chance I get. Definitely a great bang for buck scope although I still can't get my setup to guide & the QHY5-II camera isn't working for me either so they will have to be unguided for now.

Archived