Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep24_banner.thumb.jpg.56e65b9c9549c15ed3f06e146fc5f5f1.jpg

andyboy1970

M45 with the ST80

I agree :)

great scope for the $$ i might stick the ccd on mine tonight to see what it can get :evil:

Very good indeed!. It always staggers me why everyone is hell bent on APO's!!.. Achros perform just fine for DSO's.. your pic being case in point!

Nice image from the ST80, gives me an incentive to perhaps try my ST120 after all.

It was a reverse sort of moment, I had swapped my DMK that I was guiding with over onto the 200p in readiness for Jupiter and while I waited I stuck the Canon on the ST80.

So guided with a DMK on a 200p!

It was a reverse sort of moment, I had swapped my DMK that I was guiding with over onto the 200p in readiness for Jupiter and while I waited I stuck the Canon on the ST80.

And it worked out very well. :) What about the Jupiter image, did that come out well?

... And why not? :D I do that as well, although with a QHY5 not a DMK!

Edited by Black Knight

Interesting :)

very nice effort, i thank thats a really good result, from such a scope.

Excellent result from the little ST80... I think the blueness of the stars and Neb in M45 has helped hide the CA that is visible otherwise. I used to use an ST80 clone for DSO's and the CA is clearly visible on non blue bright stars. I do like mine though, lovely little scope.

Incredible value I think :)

Excellent result from the little ST80... I think the blueness of the stars and Neb in M45 has helped hide the CA that is visible otherwise. I used to use an ST80 clone for DSO's and the CA is clearly visible on non blue bright stars. I do like mine though, lovely little scope.

To some extent the blue haloes can be edited out in software processing. I had a quick play with your image- the haloes are gone and so is the colour gradient (I hope!)

m45_2.jpg

• Like 1

That's what I get with camera lenses.

I put off buying the ST80 to use as a guidescope in favour of using my 9x50 finderscope as a guider, but after seeing this i may well get one to use as a scope. ( Now there's an radical concept. )

I remember recommending an ST80 for imaging to someone last year who was on a very tight budget and it didn't seem to go down at all well. I think your M45 shows that you get a great bang for your buck, well done:)

Good effort.. better than no image and just as much fun making it as an excotic scope... Thats why a did M13 with a Tal RS a few months ago.

Maybe we should ask the mods for an imaging on a budget sub category :)

Nice start :)

After seeing these I'm definitely going to have a go with my ST80 next chance I get. Definitely a great bang for buck scope although I still can't get my setup to guide & the QHY5-II camera isn't working for me either so they will have to be unguided for now.

Whats the problem with the QHY5 Tich?

If you want a hand with it I could pop round as i'm only over in Burton.

PM me if you want.

• Like 1