Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Just bought a telescope, waiting for it to arrive.

Randomness5678

I just purchased the Celestron Astromaster 130 eq-md and the Celestron Eyepiece Kit. It is a "huge" step up from my 2.4" refractor. My only question is what to do in the meantime. Do you know any good astronomy websites that I can get info from? Also, what should I look at when I get it? I live in the eastern US and don’t have the "darkest skies" but I could find a site nearby if needed. Thanks.

Clear Skies

-Rand0m

Hi and welcome to SGL

Congrats on your new scope, you've probably got kid-at-Christmas syndrome and can't wait to use it.

I'm a great believer in clubs and societies so have found the link below listing same in the USA, just filter information by interest and/or state / city and choose from the list. By attending / joining a club you will have a network of like-minded people who can offer help and advice and an organisation which may have access to resources including a dark-sky site.

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/community/organizations

HTH!

Congrats on your new scope and EP kit. Nice gear that should keep you VERY happy for a few yrs (until aperture fever kicks in).

The worst part about buying a scope etc, is the wait. You will find yourself looking out the window many times a day to see if a delivery truck is pulling up.

A great free program to download to your computer is Stellarium. You can find where and when objects are visible.

http://www.stellarium.org/

The wait for the scope, it arrives, you build it up and have a look through it during the day getting all excited. Then......... a week of blumming clouds. I sold my scope while saving for a bigger one and hey what do you know the night it went had clearest skies in 3 weeks. Still not got the new scope yet but picked up a wee 105etx pe to tide me over.

Good times ahead with your new toy.

Check out itunes u if you have an ipad etc there are some good free courses.

Archived