Hello from the North Kent coast

kcdionysus

Hello to all. Another newbie here in the North Kent coast. I was shopping in Lakeside and in the spur of the moment bought the 'Costco Scope' - a Celestron 102GT.

I tried it for the first time on Wed night and got to see Jupiter with my own eyes for the first time. So I'm hoping to do as much as I can with the scope I have and if I get hooked, I may go for bigger and better kit.

I've read that the eyepieces that come with this scope aren't the best quality so any advice on better, but affordable, eyepieces to be able to see more would be appreciated.

Hope to converse with you guys at some point in the future.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to the SGL. I am sure the scope will provide you with many great views and would be a great secondary / travel scope even if you do decide to upgrade at later date.

With regards you question about new eyepieces. What kind of budget did you have in mind?

Clear skies,

Welcome to the SGL. I am sure the scope will provide you with many great views and would be a great secondary / travel scope even if you do decide to upgrade at later date.

With regards you question about new eyepieces. What kind of budget did you have in mind?

Clear skies,

Cheers for the welcome guys and girls.

To answer your question DirkSteele, I guess up to around the £50 mark for an eyepiece. I paid £167 for the scope and mount so wasn't thinking of spending loads more on an eyepiece than the scope but I guess in the long term, if I take to this hobby, spending on decent eyepieces will always be a good investment. I don't mind used, new, eBay or anything.

I was also thinking of trying a Barlow Lens too?? Any thoughts??

Hello and welcome. You'll find a wealth of experience and knowlege here, just ask. I've only been here a short while and have learnt so much.

Congrats on your new scope, it sounds like you found a clear sky to test it out! From what I gather new equipment and clear skies rarely come in the same package :shocked:

Good luck

Jason

Cheers for the welcome guys and girls.

To answer your question DirkSteele, I guess up to around the £50 mark for an eyepiece. I paid £167 for the scope and mount so wasn't thinking of spending loads more on an eyepiece than the scope but I guess in the long term, if I take to this hobby, spending on decent eyepieces will always be a good investment. I don't mind used, new, eBay or anything.

I was also thinking of trying a Barlow Lens too?? Any thoughts??

I would buy Plossl eyepieces. If you can get them for around £25- £40 apiece, that would be ideal.

Because this scope has a farily large focal raio of F/9.8, a 6.3mm eyepiece will give you 158.7X magnification. Your Ramsden 4mm eyepiece will give a magnification of 250X magnification, so a Barlow isn't really necessary for this scope, compared to smaller scopes with a shorter focal ratio. post-19733-0-97722500-1350613790_thumb.j

I just got my Costco scope about 3 weeks ago. post-19733-0-62080700-1350613898_thumb.j

Archived