Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Synscan eq5 upgrade, advice badly needed.

Aenima

Your 12v is probably totally ok. Would just be nice to rule it out as a cause of error, for the sake of troubleshooting.

If I had this problem I would take it to some of the egineer guys in my club who modifies mounts and work on the stuff in the club observatories.

You have no such guys in your local society?

:) Have a guess.

To tell the truth i'm not really very social in that way, so havent joined the local AS. but I did use the adapter on my azgoto quite happily.

Am about to try the little bag with the 8 AA battery holder - its the next best thing to my 12V mains supply.......

Otherwise probably have to 'get in touch with the suppliers' for much loved fun trying to resolve the issue. yay.

But really appreciate the help and suggestions, cheers. :)

wish me luck.

Aenima

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Damn. Dont have another power source. :(

But whats with it trying to slew as soon as i say 'yes' to vega as the 1st star? I thought you used handset to slew to 1st star?

Aenima

Is there maybe something wrong in the set-up of handset?

The EQ version of Synscan works differently to the AZ version. You choose your alingment star and the mount slews automatically to the approximate location. You then use the direction keys to centre the star in the eyepiece.

Yes both motors shold run simultaneoulsy on any goto mount...I assume this IS a GoTo.

The power supply seems to me to be too small. i dont k ow what the EQ5 draws but I would think it would be about the same as the HEQ5 in whixh case its going to need a minimum of 2A and maybe as much as 2.1. Your supply is only kickng 600mA and its should be kicking somethng like 2000mA so there could be problem no1

Second thing to look at.....does the mount make any sort of alarming noise when it stops working, like a car crunching gears. If so it could be one of the worms is too tight. If the gears stick on one axis it could cause the mount to stop both acis working as it tries to draw too much power.

Sorry but I dont know the EQ5 mount very well, I have only ever worked on the HEQ5 and EQ6 mounts plus dealing with a software issue with a CG5.

The only other thing beyond those two would be to double check the cables, i hear the CG5 can be a bit of a cow in that respect as as the EQ5 is very similar it might be worth checking the cables out.

The EQ version of Synscan works differently to the AZ version. You choose your alingment star and the mount slews automatically to the approximate location. You then use the direction keys to centre the star in the eyepiece.

Ah, so hypothetically, if I had say just typed in a rough location and time, then with out scope or anything started alignment and when asked for a yes or no to vega as 1st star -- would it reset trying to slew to maybe an innacurate position?

It kinda tracks but i'm indoors and still trying to figure this out so obviously not exactly polar aligned etc. is it really that fussy?

Aenima

Yes both motors shold run simultaneoulsy on any goto mount...I assume this IS a GoTo.

The power supply seems to me to be too small. i dont k ow what the EQ5 draws but I would think it would be about the same as the HEQ5 in whixh case its going to need a minimum of 2A and maybe as much as 2.1. Your supply is only kickng 600mA and its should be kicking somethng like 2000mA so there could be problem no1

Second thing to look at.....does the mount make any sort of alarming noise when it stops working, like a car crunching gears. If so it could be one of the worms is too tight. If the gears stick on one axis it could cause the mount to stop both acis working as it tries to draw too much power.

Sorry but I dont know the EQ5 mount very well, I have only ever worked on the HEQ5 and EQ6 mounts plus dealing with a software issue with a CG5.

The only other thing beyond those two would be to double check the cables, i hear the CG5 can be a bit of a cow in that respect as as the EQ5 is very similar it might be worth checking the cables out.

Hello and thank you.

Actually the gears do make a click/ clunk when the handset resets, they both seem to but afterwards when the handset comes back online.

And theAA 8 battery pack seems a bit lame, so dont know there.

I got the cables right - theres only one combo that works. It does move slowly when put on tracking but still cuts out immediately if two -up and right eg. - buttons are pressed. Also when it tries to slew eg. to a star.

Thanks for the suggestions..

regards

Aenima

I agree with AB, that power supply seems a tad feeble and that is where I would start, get something like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Altai-13-8v-Regulated-DC-Power-Supply-/261107166692?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Test_Measurement_Equipment_ET&hash=item3ccb332de4&_uhb=1

This one is still listed (16hrs left) and at a really good price including postage.

I agree with AB, that power supply seems a tad feeble and that is where I would start, get something like this

http://www.ebay.co.u...cb332de4&_uhb=1

This one is still listed (16hrs left) and at a really good price including postage.

That really is tempting to think its what the problem is, and I'd happily buy it - but It would be nice to know that the particular issues I'm having are simple power supply trouble.

Really appreciate the input, cheers Dark night :)

Maybe its nothing to worry about, it'd be nice. Off to beddy byes.......zzzzzzz

Regards

Aenima

ps. big thank you to all who posted above with ideas etc. greatly appreciated. :)

I have just inspected the power supply, its an energiser model--

12v 600mA 7.2VA is the actual details and the Skywatcher booklet says 11-15v with continuous supply of at least 2amps.........

Does anyone know enough about the tech to say if this is the problem?

Thanks

Aenima

The psu sounds a bit feeble to me. You need a psu with a minimum output of 2 amps regulated, yours is 12v 600ma. Your psu doesn't have the output to power the mount when it is slewing and this could be the cause of your problems.

Thanks folks, it seems a good chance that its power related considering the motors pull my 200p around just fine one axis at a time, so I'm popping over town to pick up an adapter with the correct output.

If no-one minds, I will update here later on and depending on the result will either be eternally grateful for the support or making an appeal for further assistance, either way I'm (once again) glad I found SGL ... :)

Many thanks,

Regards

Aenima

Thats cool, Carl, thank you. :)

And right at this moment I'm extremely relieved to see both motors running happily! Just got home so havent reassembled the cogs or anything but the proper power seems to have made the diiference. :)

So, anyone out there trying to use the same supply as the smaller AZgoto type mounts, the amps being over 2000mA is important.

I'm ever so relieved now, though I will have to put it all together before I know for sure, but a huge thanks to the help and advice to the members that posted above - once again the forum has solved an astro-problem that could have otherwise been a nightmare.

MANY THANKS,

UNTIL NEXT TIME ;)

Regards

Aenima

UPDATE: :hello2: :hello2: :headbang::happy4:^_^ --

Huge relief. With the scope all set up weights and everything its now slewing fine. A bit confused as to its place in my room, but still goes off happily looking for Vega to start alignment.

Thank you folks, much appreciated.

Regards

Aenima

:cheesy:

How do you fix a tight worm?

To move the worm a little away from the driven gear (and thus loosen the worm):

Use a 4mm Allen key to loosen a little the 4 nuts securing the worm to the mount.

Use a 2.5mm Allen key to turn the adjusting setscrew clockwise a fraction of a turn (yes, tighten the setscrew to loosen the worm).

Tighten the screws either side of the setscrew first, then tighten the other pair of screws. If the worm was too tight it will now be easier to turn. Check the play in the gear.

This is one adjustment that is critical - adjust again ( and again) if necessary to get a worm that you can easily turn with your fingers but with no discernible play.

Good luck.

Thanks cantharsis,

Thats one I'll have to re-read when I actually do it. I'm assuming the worm is the brass coloured rod that runs through the axis, which the slo-mo controls fit onto?

At the moment my luck has been good. Finally got up and running last night, it was the power as we thought, gotta be 2amps min. with 12v working fine from a universal power supply. Its actually not bad going compared to my expected troubles - after entering my info it went straight into action on a one star alignment. :laugh:! Pretty good compared to having to ID and slew manually to 1st star on my AZgoto, and managed to locate and get a picture of a couple objects too. Im glad I was able to get help from SGL's members and posts, the night would've not been the same otherwise. :rolleyes:

Thanks folks.

Regards

Aenima

Choose your alignment star and let it slew to it, then once it stops and it thinks it is pointing at the star, undo the clutches and manually move the telescope so the alignment star is centred, retighten the clutches. Continue to next alignment star following the directions the handset gives and use the handset to centre things. Only undo the clutches and manually adjust things when doing the first alignment star (Very Important).

Also ensure your location is entered correctly and time and date. The Time and Date entry in particular catches people out, as the handset wants it in American Format, ie Month, Day, Year, notice month first. (no intention to patronize intended here).

From memory the first thing I did was get a decent power supply, I'll have a look in my shed and see if I got a spare one you can have.

Thank you, though.

I had only really figured out the bare minimum, and alot of your post was about stuff I hadn't thought of.

Only got one :night to try it, still waiting to try again. As it an EQ mount there is very little I can carry over from my AZ by way of experience so I do appreciate the suggestions. :)

Regards

Aenima

Archived