Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Synscan eq5 upgrade, advice badly needed.

Aenima

I'm currently having trouble after fitting the EQ5 goto kit to my mount and testing it out, the handset seems to reset or quickly power off when two directional buttons are pressed, as if it jams when I try to move it in two axis at once.

Are my motors misplaced - (though I followed a good pictured tutorial closely) - and jamming when I use both axis at once (diagonal) ?

Or is the problem likely to be electrical?

Both -all- directional buttons work fine on their own at fast and slow speeds, but two together stops it dead and the handset seems to restart....can anyone help??

Any thoughts on the matter would be much appreciated.

Regards

Aenima

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never pressed two at the same time, when centering a target its easier and more accurate to move in one direction at a time, so I don't know why that should happen....however, you maybe activating a short cut of some sort and powering down........just an idea

I've never pressed two at the same time, when centering a target its easier and more accurate to move in one direction at a time, so I don't know why that should happen....however, you maybe activating a short cut of some sort and powering down........just an idea

I appreciate it Jiggy, I was very grateful for the how-to thread that appeared in one of your topics last year.

It was that guide that allowed me to do it properly, though the thing with turning the cog around is looking like a good idea to try - otherwise I'm stuck...

Though I think if the two motors cant work together then the goto would not work right, but I could be wrong.

Have you tried to press two Dir. - buttons on your handset at all? Has anyone else? It works fine on my azgoto-130p....

Thanks again, all help is greatly appreciated.

Regards

Aenima

Actually, now Ive tried it the motors lock as soon as it tries to slew - to anything. :eek::confused:

So its more worrisome than I thought.

Regards

Aenima

What makes me think its an electronic issue rather than mechanical is that you say that as soon as you press two keys the handset powers down.....does it attempt to move at all??....if not and it just powers down, I would say its a shortcut, I suspect there's a number of shortcuts for various functions, problem is, Skywatcher don't provide adequate instructions so you don't get to know them......if it made an attempt to move and then powered down, I'd be more inclined to a mechanical fault

What power soure are you using?

A tip positive 12v power adapter, from my azgoto originally made for a battery charger. Specs are right and its good with my other mount, i'm about to change the cog to how it is in that thread with the pictures - i checked and my cogs the first way round which the guy had to re-do afterwards.

Worth a try.

Aenima

Yeah, tried it with no extra cogs ie unable to jam, and this problem still happens! Very strange. Not sure if its relevent but had a soft bit of foam with a sticky strip on it left over - no idea what its for. Also, tried factory settings on handset, no luck. Its when the two motors work together, but not jamming........wah. :(

Anyone know what this is?

Aenima

Even on a goto the scope moves directions seperately. I would never have thought to try both simultanuously. They are not exactly powerfull processors in them and the software will also be simplistic as in:

IF movement button = RA then

DO RA

ELSE

DO DEC

End

You do one or the other but not both.

I know what you mean, the cogs should work simultaneously though I woujld have thought basic though they are, but it tries to use both when I press star alignment it looks like it tries then it powers off. Even in non alignment mode the two axis thing causes reset of handset, it seems like it may be electrical after all.

Still stumped though really. :(

The only time it doesnt cut off when both dir buttons are pushed is straight to handset power-lead - but why?

appreciate the replies, thank you.

Regards

Aenima

Does the mount slew correctly when using only one direction key at a time ?

Yes if you mean literally moving by one button and then release button to then press the other, yeah it works and at different speeds. The problem seemed worse when i pressed yes to choosing a star to align - it said 'slewing' - to the first star (!) surely I should do 1st star manually?

meaning that when it tried to self slew the same happened then also.

But otherwise yes, it works if seperate axis are used on their own...

Regards

Aenima

I've never tried to use the RA and DEC axis keys at the same time, I see no reason to. With both motors slewing you are pulling more amps, it could be that your psu ha=se said enough and cuts out.

This sounds helpful, but not sure what it means exactly. Sorry. Has anyone tried to use both buttons in this way??

Aenima

Even on a goto the scope moves directions seperately. I would never have thought to try both simultanuously. They are not exactly powerfull processors in them and the software will also be simplistic as in:

IF movement button = RA then

DO RA

ELSE

DO DEC

End

You do one or the other but not both.

Using both buttons is usually how i move diagonally on my alt-azGoto mount, its fine with it.

Aenima

Damn. Dont have another power source. :(

But whats with it trying to slew as soon as i say 'yes' to vega as the 1st star? I thought you used handset to slew to 1st star?

Aenima

Is there maybe something wrong in the set-up of handset?

No car?

Unfortunately not. I have the lead for the lighter socket, but thought my 12v supply would do ok.

ps. tried to set it to just tracking, without alignment, but it sounds like the motor isnt right. Typical really, sounds quite drastic now I come to think about it.

Aenima

I have just inspected the power supply, its an energiser model--

12v 600mA 7.2VA is the actual details and the Skywatcher booklet says 11-15v with continuous supply of at least 2amps.........

Does anyone know enough about the tech to say if this is the problem?

Thanks

Aenima

Your 12v is probably totally ok. Would just be nice to rule it out as a cause of error, for the sake of troubleshooting.

If I had this problem I would take it to some of the egineer guys in my club who modifies mounts and work on the stuff in the club observatories.

You have no such guys in your local society?

Archived