Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

IC1805 Bicolor (H-alpha/OIII)

Avdhoeven

Nowt to do with me, really - it's obviously a good data capture. Given that this was a quick play with the PNG, then a bit more work on the original TIFF should turn out to be spectacular; and it's not as if it's a bad image in the first place. Really nice as it is.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well yes, more data always helps; but you do have plenty there :)

As for over processing - all too often it's in the eye of the beholder; we all have different views on how an image "should" look. I tend to work on duplicate layers these days so if I think I've overdone it I can bin the layer and start again. Had another play, more with hue, saturation and colour balance and I think that I've gone as far as I can go without overdoing it.

post-23222-0-10926100-1350292682_thumb.p

Might need easing back a touch.

I would say - stop there, it's beautiful - I can't see that it could be any better :) Lovely colours which I like but I think more colour or contrast would look unnatural - not that there's anything to go by but I really like this latest version - lovely :)

I would say - stop there, it's beautiful - I can't see that it could be any better :) Lovely colours which I like but I think more colour or contrast would look unnatural - not that there's anything to go by but I really like this latest version - lovely :)

Which is exactly why I stopped there :)

I guess, having seen an example or two of what data is available, it's now up to Advhoeven to decide how much to further process the original. I'll be interested to see the result :)

Personally, Advhoeven's version is much more to my taste; natural, nice and smooth, without that over-processed look to it. The faint details are still visible, but I suppose it does depend a lot on your monitor!

Yep - slightly over the top. But then, it's harder to avoid when working with an already processed JPG and its built in data loss. I guess if you aim for half way between your original and maybe my second to last "play", working from your TIFF, you should still be comfortably below over-processing levels and yet still be able to lift more data.

Archived