Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mey observing chair

lhuchison

I've just tried out my new Mey observing chair when i had a one hour clear sky last night.

one word, great! so much better than the ironing chair i have used up to now.

A couple of downsides are the weight and the cost, but i can forgive the weight as its so well made and sturdy, i can see it lasting years and a chair of this quality will come at a price.

The one handed operation is smooth and flawless and the height adjustment is perfect.It has two angle/slope adjustments on the seat by use of a side lever.

One of the best features is the seat can twist 45% each way so no more twisted spine.

I don't think you can over estimate the importance of a comfortable seat when observing which is why i splashed out on this great chair. Totally recommended.

I also have this chair and can second everything you say. I would say this is the most useful accessory that I own - being comfortable allows to to spend much longer at the eyepiece and it is when you do that that you really start to see things.

It is heavy and sturdy, but as a big chap, I can appreciate that it isn't going to collapse under my weight any time soon!

Rich

• 4 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've found that the lowest position is too high for observing certain targets with a Dob and so I've modified mine by drilling new holes nearer the bottom in order to move the stops lower and give a wider range on movement.

Top piece of kit though and very comfortable.

Check to see if this chair has straight front-legs. You'd be best off it they were flaired-out to keep the chairs' front-legs from sinking down on moist soil/grass.

Here's a picture of mine. Mind the front-legs are flaired-out?

A good chair (or stool or...?) is a wonderful thing!

Dave

Vestil-CPRO-600-2.jpg

Dave, I was considering the chair that you have, the foot rest would be nice if it adjusted up with the seat.

I've got an SCT on a lowered tripod that lets me perch a bit lower, the chair I'm considering is based on a mechanics work seat, adjusts seat height from 18" to 28" . the chair I saw had legs, no casters

Telescopes down or up like an office chair with the release lever just under the seat.

Best chair I had was a captains style seat with armrest, foot rests and rotated 360 degrees.

I spent countless hours relaxed in that chair peering into my 10" Newton, could sit comfortably, swap filters, spin the Celestron Zoom, twist the polarizer, but the Newton is gone, that chair wore out only a few years ago, up until its demise anybody that landed in it praised it. 

I picked it up at a yard sale in the 80's, it was part of a garden bar stool set.

Always held the opinion that a "good" observer is a comfortable observer. I simply modified an old gas bar stool seat with a more cumfy seat and been happily going up and down with my scopes since.:blob7:

See piccy for demonstration of use by Sol, one of our GSP's.......who incidentally is very adept at sneaking into observatory at night and scaring the hell out of you when you move around as supposedly "empty" observatory.:eek:

Les

Sol at scope_compressed.jpg

Archived