Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Adjustable pier... any idea?

Andrew*

48 minutes ago, daslolo said:

I'm embarking on the same adventure.

Here is the plan:

Pier made of 2 tubes . The Host is 6" with an ID that matches the OD of the smaller tube which is a roughly 5"

Smaller tube attached 3" inside to a 12" linear actuator, these are narrow enough to fit in the 6" host tube.

There will be some leeway, this is handled by 2 screws welded to the 5". The pass through  a slit in the 6", tighten by bolted handles

I made mine from 8 inch square tube mounted on 3" angle iron, easier to engineer than round tube.

I rises up a foot, this is governed by the size and throw of the actuator, the difference between it fully down and fully up before the outer tube looses overlap, any higher would require a complicated triple tube arrangement.

Dave

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Davey-T said:

I made mine from 8 inch square tube mounted on 3" angle iron, easier to engineer than round tube.

I rises up a foot, this is governed by the size and throw of the actuator, the difference between it fully down and fully up before the outer tube looses overlap, any higher would require a complicated triple tube arrangement.

Dave

Got a photo?

Just a thought if a variable height  'solid' pier was not do-able...

Tri-pier

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/ioptron-mounts/ioptron-tri-pier-portable-pier-tripod.html

accessory(s) to convert to NEQ6 /Heq5 

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/ioptron-mount-accessories/ioptron-tri-pier-adapters.html

Then adjust to specific  scope length with....

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/sky-watcher-mount-accessories/skywatcher-eq5heq5-extension-tube.html

or the NEQ6 equivalent.

Quite an acculmulated cost,  but all are separate items that can be sold on independently and there must be a  substantial height variation with this combo.

... and it has portability.....

Oh and the upper seal might provide extra lateral stability.

12V ? I haven't found linear actuator with enough lateral strength to carry the 70# forkmount. If it's 12v pump, I've only seen double acting manual pumps, 110v electric pumps... And it gets complicated with oil and expensiver.