Narrowband

Another step on the Jupiter journey

Delboy_Hog

Hi All,

As some of you may have read recently, (http://stargazerslou...00-and-mak-127/) I have been gradually working on improving my planetary imaging.

Although this is nowhere near the standard of the incredible pictures we've seen on here recently, I'm happy that this is a definite step forwards for me, coming mainly from learning a few key lessons (read: making stupid mistakes :rolleyes: ) everytime I go out.

2 minutes of capture using Sharpcap, run (a little heavily I think) through Registax. Great Red Spot and Io's shadown visible, though Io itself very feint. I have a couple of four minute captures in the bank too, so I look forward to seeing how they come out,

I'm in the wilds of north Cornwall next week and desperate for one clear night, so I can get a comparison against this, taken just outside of Leeds city centre. If the weather is bad, I'll use the time to learn more about Registax - it's still mostly guess work at the moment. :embarassed:

Usual kit, Mak 127, SPC900 and standard 2x barlow. New dew shield helped a lot on this one, the extra time outside gave me more time to experiment with the settings in Sharpcap.

Jupiter 09.10.12.bmp

Very good early capture - for the aperture especially so!!!

Most folks use additional software to lift their images and here's a little play with your image in said...

I'd really recommend you get to grips with AutoStakkert! by Emil Kraikaamp, most folks find its processing improves images over (say) Registax: here's a link to a good little tute on AS!2

Also, I think it's nicer when folks post a .jpg or .png image because it automatically is visible instead of just a filename in the thread.....the .png files are better because they aren't lossy (or degraded slightly like the .jpg's)

But a very good image nonetheless.....happy planetary imaging..!

post-3551-0-85736400-1349910116_thumb.pn

Thank you all - you're very kind! :icon_salut:

Stuart, you are absolutely right, the longer captures seem to need considerably less attention in the wavelets so far to bring out the detail and do seem to be considerably smoother, the only downside is that the shadow of Io is ever so slightly blurred. That moon must be really flying!

Tim, also absolutely right! The brightness is a bit high. Having under-exposed about 3 hours worth of captures the last time I was out, I was paranoid abut doing it again, which meant I've probably missed out on a bit of nice contrasty detail to the whiteness! :rolleyes: Need to get to grips with the processing side of things, but never really know which way to go, so your advice is much appreciated!

Kokatha Man, I've often read that people are tinkering with their images outside of / as an alternative to Registax, but so far have completely chickened out of trying :embarrassed: I think it might be time to take the plunge, so thank you for the suggestions...I'll get reading! Ah, and jpeg or png - got it! ;) I agree it looks better when posted up, I'm afraid I hadn't made the link between file type and how it appeared in the thread, even having done it on a previous post :iamwithstupid: . I know now!

Thank you all again for your kind words!

Archived