Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Hi there folks, i have just been reading up on the Telrad Finder. In your opinions is this worth the money and does it help the novice out in learning the skies? I like that some star atlases have the Telrad circles printed in them.

Regards

Mike

simply yes it is , and yes it does, you wont be wasting money thats for sure.

Edited by rory

It's the most useful item I ever bought.

Seconded :)

They can be hard to find, but seem to be in supply at present. Get one while you can, consider an extra base if you have more than one scope :)

Stunningly effective. A circle gives you scale, a dot does not. Also the Telrad doesn't use those infernal Aspirin sized batteries but proper ones you can buy anywhere, and Telrads last. My older one dates back to the previous century. My newer one is only about seven years old.

Olly

When it arrives, you might think that £35 was a little expensive for something for simple.

Once youve used it a few times, you'd realise that its usefulness way outweighs its price.

just had my 4" riser delivered from flo. great service.

works for me - there are also quite a few freely downloadable sets of telrad maps - I use this one

• Like 1

Seems expensive for what it is, but after using it a few times you wonder how you got on without it. So yes it is worth the money.

So then while that's a very firm yes does anyone fancy telling the other half I need to spend another £40 !!!! :-)

+1 for the Telrad i wouldn't be without mine now i tried for ages find ring nebula M57 with the Telrad took me 2 mins and what a sight lovely smoke ring i was dancing round my backyard since then ive added M51, M31, M81. that's only due to the weather.

• Like 1

Put my vote down for the Telrad, too. The only time I'm not convinced of its usefulness is on scopes with very long focal lengths (Maks and SCTs for example), but I've not tried it on one so it may well work.

James

Lots of Telrad fans here as you can see. And yes, I'm one of them as well. Really great piece of equipment and I wouldn't want to part with mine.

So then while that's a very firm yes does anyone fancy telling the other half I need to spend another £40 !!!! :-)

Go on be a man :p

• Like 1

I want one too and can't seem to find one in stock anywhere!

I want one too and can't seem to find one in stock anywhere!

Try 365 astronomy

Try 365 astronomy

They're out of stock, but expecting more this week.

James

You need to bite the bullet and explain that astronomy requires continuous ongoing investment in order to remain enjoyable. :-)

• Like 1

A +1 for telrad.

Its helpful for getting to a rough area fast without upsidedown left/right confusion, then after that you can use the rings to measure and starhop closer to the target.

And there is still the option of using a finderscope alongside it.

Aenima

• Like 1

They're out of stock, but expecting more this week.

James

what about Rother Valley Optics thats where i got mine from.

Three weeks lead time.

Crikey only got mine about 4 weeks ago everyone must have gone Telrad mad.