Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Telrad Finder?

Hi there folks, i have just been reading up on the Telrad Finder. In your opinions is this worth the money and does it help the novice out in learning the skies? I like that some star atlases have the Telrad circles printed in them.

Regards

Mike

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stunningly effective. A circle gives you scale, a dot does not. Also the Telrad doesn't use those infernal Aspirin sized batteries but proper ones you can buy anywhere, and Telrads last. My older one dates back to the previous century. My newer one is only about seven years old.

Olly

+1 for the Telrad i wouldn't be without mine now i tried for ages find ring nebula M57 with the Telrad took me 2 mins and what a sight lovely smoke ring i was dancing round my backyard since then ive added M51, M31, M81. that's only due to the weather.

Put my vote down for the Telrad, too. The only time I'm not convinced of its usefulness is on scopes with very long focal lengths (Maks and SCTs for example), but I've not tried it on one so it may well work.

James

So then while that's a very firm yes does anyone fancy telling the other half I need to spend another £40 !!!! :-)

You need to bite the bullet and explain that astronomy requires continuous ongoing investment in order to remain enjoyable. :-)

A +1 for telrad.

Its helpful for getting to a rough area fast without upsidedown left/right confusion, then after that you can use the rings to measure and starhop closer to the target.

And there is still the option of using a finderscope alongside it.

Aenima

Archived