Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Celestron SkyQ link WiFi Adapter

FLO

Celestron have released a new Celestron SkyQ Link WiFi Module that when used with their SkyQ app enables wireless control of most computerized Celestron telescopes. In addition to wireless operation (including telescope alignment) the SkyQ Link Module allows you to automatically slew the telescope to a target with a simple tap on your iPhone or iPad planetarium interface.

Compatible with just about every Celestron GOTO mount and telescope including the SLT, SE, CPC, CGEM and CG5-GT series.

Requires the latest version of NexRemote and SkyQLink PC Installer

celestron-skyq-wifi-adapter-93959.jpg

this does look very interesting althrough a supplier copy of the skysafari version.

one thing though on the SW and celestron versions, arnt the mounts just copys? with the celestrons having slightly better quailty, or in the case of the all view, a direct rebadge?

this does look very interesting althrough a supplier copy of the skysafari version.

I doubt SkyQ is a copy but it is fair to say SkySafari were first.

one thing though on the SW and celestron versions, arnt the mounts just copys? with the celestrons having slightly better quailty, or in the case of the all view, a direct rebadge?

Celestron & Skywatcher are both owned by Synta but Celestron had won a significant court battle with Meade over their GOTO alignment specification shortly before they were acquired so Synta have Skywatcher Synscan and Celestron have Nexstar. Nexstar is considered to be the more sophisticated and is used for Celestron mounts, but Skywatcher's Synscan is more user-friendly. I don't know how compatible Synscan is with the SkyQ.

HTH,

Steve

have you considered starting a thread in the DIY section Perry? It looks like a project that would interest other members.

If you like the SkyQ app and want to use it to control your mount via wifi using your iPhone or iPad, and value convenience, buy a SkyQ wifi adapter.

There are of course other software packages and other means of controlling a mount, all are valid and all have pros and cons.

HTH

have you considered starting a thread in the DIY section Perry? It looks like a project that would interest other members.

If you like the SkyQ app and want to use it to control your mount via wifi using your iPhone or iPad, and value convenience, buy a SkyQ wifi adapter.

There are of course other software packages and other means of controlling a mount, all are valid and all have pros and cons.

HTH

Good point Steve. If anything getting rid of the handset etc would be less fiddly. Currently the tripod trays is getting crowded :p

On mobile (excuse the strange predictive words...)

• 3 months later...

It looks like it could get hit by the main body of the scope, what do you think ?

Hasn't happened yet, unless I have missed something? :smiley:

You are probably thinking it is bigger than it is. Here's another photo:

celestron-skyq-wifi-telescope.jpg

I have used it and it worked well . It fits in at 45" so is parallel to the mount and doesn't stick out . I just didn't see the point of it. If I could get phd or maxim to communicate with it , I would not have to run a USB extension cable outdoors anymore.

ze2u6uby.jpg

I wonder what advantage over serial RS232 handset control this would give.

I made mine Bluetooth for less than £30.

Can you provide details on how you did this please? Start another thread and link from here if you feel more comfortable that way. What software and device are you using to connect to the Bluetooth?

Looking like an awesome bit of kit, if I have got this right you download the app for the iphone and away you go?!

Yes, there is an App for the Iphone and Ipad :smiley:

And NexRemote and SkyQLink PC Installer if you want to run it via your laptop?!

TY FLO now I can see how small it is. Does it work with the Skyx sofrware?

Or I wonder if the skyq would work with a iPhone and sksafari?

We only know of people using it with the SkyQ Apps. For other applications you really need to chat with the SkyQ developers.

HTH,

Steve

Archived