SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M31 - with new scope

moondog

Just getting the astro equipment together for my move to New Zealand.

Wanted a small refractor for imaging and what better than a Skywatcher Pro ED 80 - particularly with the recent price reductions.

The scope arrived last Friday afternoon and what do you know the sky was actually clear the same night !

Didn't mean to image with the new scope as I was up early the following morning, but couldn't resist M31 peeping over the house roof.

12 subs @ 800 ISO total exposure time 14 mins.

1447_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

MD

Splendid result MD. You can up sticks to NZ knowing the scope is more than up to the challenge. New skies to explore, different objects to image too.

I am sure we will all await your first posting from down below with anticipation.

Pack those important opticals very carefully. And enjoy you new envirionment. I have a friend who moved to New Zealand with his family, and they absolutely love it.

Best Wishes.

Ron. :lol:

WOW - That is one superb image MD. Only 14 minutes exposure - must be a good 'scope and good imaging conditions. Lots of detail and .... can I see some clusters or star-rich regions in M31? Or am I hallucinating?

Tom

Yes the scope is a good one - lot's of imagers on SGL use it.

Imaging conditions not brilliant - seeing 3/5, and I have LP from a streetlamp to the North East (where M31 was). Yes - you can see some star rich regions in the image.

I took some Darks to go with the Lights but when I stacked them there was too much noise. So I tried without the Darks and the noise vanished. Didn't know why until I read an article that said Darks should be at least as long or longer than the Lights. I normally use ImagesPlus for capture software but as I didn't intend to image I used the DSLR and timed by hand. When I was packing up, I used 30 secs repeat exposures on the Canon (max time) to take the Darks. Bad idea as the Lights were all either 60 or 90 secs !

I won't do that again

8)

MD

Archived