sgl_imaging_challenge_6_banner_jupiter_2021.jpg.eacb9f0c2f90fdaafda890646b3fc199.jpg

Tightening Celestron Nexstar 4SE/5SE mount

mikehab

Hi - does any one know how to tighten a Celestron Nexstar 4SE/5SE mount - specifically the Altitude 'clutch'? Now that the weather is getting colder I've noticed that when the mount is cold the weight of my DSLR on the back is causing the scope to drop at the back quite easily, and it can be quite easily moved/lifted with only very slight pressure - so it feels like the altitude clutch (?) is a little loose and the whole thing needs tightening up somehow? When it's back indoors and warm it's a bit stiffer and there's less slip and more difficult to move.... but when outside and cold it feels quite slack and easy to move.

Any pointers / instructions / guidance on tightening greatly appreciated...

Thanks,

Mike

Hi Mike,

This is a common problem.

If you take the hand controller from its holder you will see 3 small screws holding a cover in place. Remove these screws, take off the cover and you will see the altitude bolt. It will be a matter of trial and error as to how much you need to tighten it....be carefull not to overtighten though!

Tom

Tried that - but the 4SE has a very short tube and even shorter dovetail - so even moving it forward as far as safely possible didn't really help. I have an EOS 60D with is rather heavy ... maybe I should consider a different, lighter DSLR. (But I do love my 60D!...)

Tried that - but the 4SE has a very short tube and even shorter dovetail - so even moving it forward as far as safely possible didn't really help. I have an EOS 60D with is rather heavy ... maybe I should consider a different, lighter DSLR. (But I do love my 60D!...)

Tie several helium balloons to the 60D :D

• 8 years later...

I've been a member of an astronomical society here in Australia since 1999.  In the last few years I have devoted my time to astrophotography finishing with a 8" OTA on a Celestron mount with StarSense and Canon 80D DSR - like Mike.  At 81 I decided that I'd rather be in my warm house than outside in the cold and feeling tired.  So I sold all my gear and bought a NexStar 4SE.  Couldn't let it go altogether!  🐵  I had the same problem as Mike and followed the advice to tighten the Alt bolt.  But managed to lose one of the cover screws somewhere in the innards!  :o( At first I could hear it rattling around and tried to coax it out but it has stopped rattling and seems to be lost forever.  Is this loose screw likely to cause any damage as I slew the scope?  As its only a cover I will replace it with just the two remaining screws unless I can find a correct replacement screw.  (I have slewed it on the workbench and seems to be OK in Alt and AZ - so far!)

Edited by Shipmate

Its all good!  I went to a nationwide hardware store (Bunnings) and found the right screw.  So I bought the box of 24 and when I got home discovered that the missing screw had actually fallen into an open small screwdriver box!  Not lost at all which will explain why I could not hear it rattling anymore!