Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar_landings.thumb.jpg.b50378d0845690d8a03305a49923eb40.jpg

Get yourself a sheet of Rubylith and you can do all your stuff.....even works fine on your ipad and iphone.

Rubylith.jpg

i cut out a circle and put it behind the main lens on my headtorch.

Richard Bailey, who I think is on here will sort you out with the stuff. i paid £10 for 2 large sheets and still have over a sheet left so it goes a long way.

I use one of these but they are no longer available with a red beam,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Iain-Sinclair-Eon-Ice-Torch/dp/B004BUWNOQ

This is a similar white beam product

http://www.amazon.co.uk/RAC-LED-Credit-Card-Light/dp/B004AOGQEG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1349886611&sr=8-1

Thisone looks OK though, at £4.10 including delivery:

t/dp/B005XM5PSC/ref=sr_1_39?ie=UTF8&qid=1349886312&sr=8-39

I got a roll of red cellophane from amazon and have done two torches, my tablet PC and a pair of goggles (which i've been told, looks ridiculous).

Trouble is, its pretty thin, so I've had to layer it.

I think a proper red headlight torch might be my best bet.

I bought a white torch from Taskers for £3.25 and put a red sweet wrapper on it.

DSC00814torch.jpg

It has 3 brightness levels.

I LIKE it. This should be posted on the thread about budget astronomy DIY.

I recently found something like this in my "Bits and Bobs" drawer. I think it came in a christmas cracker. Its a red LED keyring: Its quite bright, enough to read star charts etc by..........without being too bright.

post-5361-0-00549300-1350069662_thumb.jp

Edited by LukeSkywatcher
  • Like 1

I just use the skywatcher one and it works pretty good.

The battery lasts a good length of time too.

If you have a power supply a safelight for developing photographs in would be ideal for a large outside red light.

I know you can get old ones for a couple of quid off ebay, I got two a few years ago.

Not tried them outside because, well, I got them for developing photographs and that doesn't work too well outside! But they do light up a full room, so I can imagine them being perfect if you want something brighter than a handheld with a larger spread of light.

I replaced the lens off a maglite torch with two circles one on top of the other cut from a skimmed milk plastic top. works well but I'd like it dimmer so may try a couple of layers of red nail varnish too.

Mcphisto you can go to MEC and get wind up red cycle lamps for $8 that are a convenient size.

Just ordered myself a rechargeable from ebay, about £16 and £1.60 postage

Think this was the one:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UltraFire-WF-501B-CREE-LED-Red-Light-Flashlight-Torch-1x-18700-Battery-Charger-/250896787264?_trksid=p3284.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D21%26pmod%3D150664028031%26ps%3D54

Main page is:

http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/150664028031?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&adtype=pla#

Green ones and Blue ones as well.

They are not cheap (I think about £25ish) but the Gerber Recon torches that use x1-AA battery are pretty good.

They have a rotatable front on them so they can output white / green / blue & red light

Its just one led too so on the red filter its not hugely bright but perfectly usable to find your way around a place & read whatever it is you need.

I have two of those & a military style signals torch (the right angled ones) that uses x2 D sized batteries. I suspect if i used that one at a star party i'd get a lot of complaints about it, as it can be quite bright head on even with its red filter on. The only advantage of it is the signals button so its only on when you really need it instead of a constant on light

Metal LED torch from Poundland. Add two coats of nail varnish and it gives a nice diffuse red light, ideal for reading charts.