Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

blinky

Galaxy pair near Comet P168 Hergenrother

This is a crop from the image I took on Saturday night of Comet P168/Hergenrother, I really liked this little galaxy pair but cant find out any information on them. In particular one of them has a very bright core which looks to me like a supernova? Granted I have only imaged a couple so I may be talking rubbish, but what do others think? And can anybody tell me what these 2 galaxies are called?

post-461-0-83832300-1349726157_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I don't know anything about these but it is a great image. The only thing I can say is that the core does look very bright to me, well done.

Thats a great image! Very bright cores for how distant they are. They kind of look like a smaller and more closely distanced M81/82.

To identify the galaxies you need to know their position, then enter it here:

http://simbad.u-stra...simbad/sim-fcoo

To get their position you could start with the position of the comet. I looked here

http://www.aerith.ne...ly/current.html

and got RA 0 3.92 Dec 23 4.9 for Oct 6. I don't know the scale of your image so don't know how wide a search area to make at Simbad, nor do I know the image orientation, but if you work those out you should be able to narrow down the position of the galaxies a bit better and find their identities.

Edited by acey

Yeah but I dont know it's position as Icant get it to plate solve in Astrometry.Net!!!!

They are 13/14th magnitude galaxies UGC12915 and UGC12914. I captured them myself and thought what an interesting pair they were: http://stargazerslou...8phergenrother/

I also thought that UGC12914 had a bright core which looked supernova-ish, but a quick search showed that it just has a rather bright and concentrated core.

EDIT: Crossed posts. ALSO known as PGC120 and PGC129!.

Edited by lukebl

And it's not a supernova as it's on this image, which although I dont speak French, looks like it was taken in 2011

...apparently also known as the Taffy galaxies, c.170 Million Light Years distant.

Ah, thanks for the info, was googling trying to find out about them and was drawing a blank!

Nice little pair of galaxies - well captured :)