help needed

jason123

hello there ppl my name is jason i live in norwich i love watch the sky at night and would love to learn more about the name of the stars,planet ext.does anyone know of any social groups around norwich area that goes out look with a telescope who could help me learn more i would be very grateful for any help im happy to pay for lesson if you like please PM me thanx please excuse my spelling

Hi Jason and welcome to SGL, there really is no need for you to pay for any lessons to help ease your way into Astronomy. Books from the local library or you can join an Astro club, if you have one near you, there could well be some members who have more knowledge of clubs in your area than I have, as I can not help in this respect, but if all else fails your library may have some information. If you download the free program " Stellarium " it will show you what the night sky is like and with a basic pair of binoculars you can start on the long path of learning your way about the night sky. Ask as many questions as you like on the forum, you will find everyone most helpful :)

John.

Hi And welcome, Jason!

Loads of very helpful and friendly people in SGL-land, so ask away! Hope you find a good local group too! And Glowjet's advice is good - so much you can do with some binolculars to start with while you decide if and what sort of scope is for you :).

Welcome aboard!

Hi Jason and welcome to the forum. You have made the right decision in coming here as we are a friendly bunch and keen to help you get started. Astro clubs/societies are a good starting point in finding what's going on locally and you are fortunate to have Norwich astro society as your local club as they are very well set up to help facilitate your interest. Your can check out their website here.

The SGL forum is split into many sections of interest so why not take a look around and join in with the discussions. In addition, there are several 'stickies' at the top of the beginner section that help get you up to speed with terminology, eyepieces etc. I would second John's recommendation of downloading "Stellarium" (... there a link here) Astronomy itself is not difficult, its just that there is a lot of it which as our knowledge grows, changes from time to time and so in effect we are all beginners here really as none of us can know it all! :smiley:

Clear skies and enjoy the forum

James

Hi there and welcome from me , learn one constellation at a time ,and take your time it's easy to try and see every thing in one night, and rush around time and patience ,is what you need enjoy ask away there's a lot of knowledge here on sso.

pat

Archived