Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

Gina

From M42 to Flame in Orion - Ha widefield

200mm f3.5 lens on modded and cooled 1100D DSLR with 12nm Ha clip filter. 39 30s lights at ISO 3200 and 10C plus 35 darks and flats stacked in DSS and processed in PS. Slightly cropped. The moon prevented longer subs and produced a background gradient. I've rotated the image to show the Horsehead the "right" way up. I've left this one in the raw red - I found little to be gained by changing to greyscale.

post-13131-0-13476900-1349633773_thumb.p

Thank you :) Some lenses from my SLR film days and some secondhand off ebay auctions.

Decided to go to greyscale and drag as much as I could out of this moonlight polluted image :D

post-13131-0-57644700-1349634752_thumb.p

• Like 1

nice one Gina - A shot i'm hoping to do this season too

Edited by JohnC64

Nice effort, but what's happening to your stars? It might be that the focus has slipped during the exposure? But they are looking quite fussy.

Really nice framing of the pair, Gina. You need to XTerminate that Gradient first, though!

Nice effort, but what's happening to your stars? It might be that the focus has slipped during the exposure? But they are looking quite fussy.

Yes, I think it could be focus. Also, conditions were not good and it was very low in the sky and starting to get hazy. Next possibility of a clear night looks like Friday or later and the moon shouldn't be a problem - I'll have another go then. TBH I was quite pleased to get anything :D

Really nice framing of the pair, Gina. You need to XTerminate that Gradient first, though!

Thank you :) Took several goes with manual slewing using EQASCOM to get the framing right but worth it I think. Yes, the gradient is bad. Edited by Gina

Gina - good effort. Try setting your camera to monochrome....

It's amazing how much time can be eaten up like that, isn't it? I often spend ages blinking back and forth between images or stellarium matching up star patterns!

Gina - good effort. Try setting your camera to monochrome....

Thank you Francis :) Is it possible to set an 1100D DSLR to monochrome? Edited by Gina

Nice one Gine, good to see them both in the same frame

Keiran

Thank you :)

It's amazing how much time can be eaten up like that, isn't it? I often spend ages blinking back and forth between images or stellarium matching up star patterns!

Yes, takes quite some time as you need to take quite a long exposure to check each ra/dec change. Having ISO 6400 helps but I still find it needs 15-30 secs to get an image. I use the EOS Utilities to do this. Edited by Gina