Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Leisure Battery Box

JimS

Wouldn't something like this do the trick :

http://cgi.ebay.fr/150W-DC-DC-Boost-Converter-10-32V-to-12-35V-6A-Step-Up-Voltage-Charger-Power-/271117025594?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f1fd5813a#ht_2786wt_704

I dont feel realy comfortable having the so small wires feeding the mount, like the ones coming fro those PC adapters...

With a gizmo like this, I would just have to have a + and - from the battery linked to it, and then another section of proper cable from the gizmo to the Speakon...

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wow, that's an industrial version of whats inside the wee power adapters , if you go for one of these make sure you set the output voltage at around 14v then connect the load (mount) and fine tune the trimmer to give the desired output voltage, maybe set the mount to slew while adjusting which would be the mounts highest current use . under no load these circuits output a volt or 2 more than when drawing current.

Mounting this inside your power box would solve any external use ventilated case requirements and also warm the air in the powerbox, good for keeping the chill off the battery :)

Dave.

I also have noted that the "Safe Max Voltage" on some cameras is 13.8v. A very expensive thing to fry from over-voltage.

If your battery is in good condition and ALL wiring is heavy duty then voltage drops should be minimised. I have found that one big source of voltage drop is the standard Cigarette Lighter plug and socket. I have gone over to the DIN type wherever possible and always for voltage critical circuits.

When I have any such problems I use a voltmeter at different points in circuit to find wher I am getting voltage drop.

David

Dave, not sure this is a good Idea. Let's say we want 13.8v output in action. Would that mean we would need to set up the gizmo to output 15.8v measured straight out ? I guess that's more than enough to fry the mount when first turned on ?

Sorry i should re phrase that , when checking the output with your multimeter on first switch on with no load connected the circuit will output a volt or two more than when a load is connected , so set it for say 13.5v , then connect the load and you may find you have to increase the trimmer very slightly to get the voltage you want , this is just for your mount supply is it ?.

Hi guys! I am interested in building my own power supply and I was wondering where you are getting your voltage displays from? I have had a quick look on the Intersuperhighway thingy but I can't seem to find anything that looks like what you have.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi , if you are using an absorbent glass mat AGM battery or a gel battery that may work as a very short term solution , i'd be concerned if it was a wet cell design battery with sulphuric acid sloshing about, housed in a holdall.

Ideally the battery should be securely fixed and the terminals well insulated to prevent shorting , with also a suitable sturdy carry case.

It's quite scary the welding / fire raising / explosion capabilities of a 20 ah battery never mind the destruction a 100ah battery could cause if care is not taken in the design & fuse requirements of a DIY power box.

Dave.

• 2 years later...

Archived