Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiterholic

Here's some F30 mosaics from this mornings session at.. some ridiculous hour that not many people know exists. F30 is as far as I can push my scope using my Televue 3x barlow. Its not often the seeing is good enough to make it happen using only an 8 inch aperture scope either. All shot through a red filter. Can't do much more to reduce the noise in these when working at this focal length, its a by product of the lack of aperture.

First up is a 6 pane mosaic of Moretus

moretus6panes07102012.jpg

Followed by a 13 pane mosaic of Plato and surrounding region

plato13panes07102012.jpg

And then a 5 pane mosaic of Copernicus

copernicus5panes0710201.jpg

and finally a quick shot of Tycho

tycho045132.jpg

Hi Plato is my favourite. it has that natural feel.. At f30 having gain as low as you can get it will have benefits for natural grainless images. though as we know its a bit more tricky than that. because theres exposures to think about. And faster exposures beat the seeing better for more sharp frames. downside is more noise. So this is likely the things to be thinking about at f30 i feel. A good trick i found is to shoot some lunar on the brighter regions. Not so bright that there is no detail. But enough to give your equipment a light boost. You can use this light boost one of two ways, lower gain. Or faster exposure. or even a little of both. I think it just depends how the seeing is. the better the seeing. the slower you can set exposure. and hence lower the gain noise. for grain free frames. which will pay greatly when its time to stack.

Archived