Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

I've just realised that I did actually mean Psi Pegasi, not Omega above. Confusing my tridents with my curly "w"s on the star chart :)

James

I had to look the symbol up too if I'm honest!

You don't do several maths A levels and not learn to tell your alpha from your epsilon, but you still have to read carefully :)

James

It's be so cloudy for days.. any new observations - hope it's not fading yet.

andrew

I spotted it yesterday and it was very easy in my C8. Mag 10 - 10.5 at least if not going towards 9.5. Very compact, so with a much higher surface brightness than Garradd.

Quite excited about seeing this comet but unfortunately the weather says otherwise. We were on for clear skies tomorrow night but that has now changed. Any idea when the comet will peak and the estimated mag?

Just having a read on the web and was excited to see that 168P will pass close to M31 in the week before xmas. :)

Thanks for the heads up John!

Will give it a try with the 6 inch newt although not getting my hopes up too much!

Maybe from a dark sky location might help somewhat.

certainly a Peak Star Party target next Friday-Sunday with any luck.

• Like 1

certainly a Peak Star Party target next Friday-Sunday with any luck.

I hope so! Maybe I should join the queue at your telescope lol! :rolleyes:

I hope so! Maybe I should join the queue at your telescope lol! :rolleyes:

you'd be welcome. Garradd was really nice from there last year - pretty accurately resembling an image on screen from a neighbour's Takahashi. Darker skies make such a difference.....

Just been looking at what i think is Comet Hergenrother. In my 4" at 55x 13mm plossl the area in the eyepiece at 23.00 is a close dog leg of about 5 or six stars with a fuzz just above them - in fact a nice little group. It's stormy and the clouds are rolling in. Can anyone confirm this? It's brighter than i would have thought for 10 mag - perhaps a little easier than Garradd from memory - by having a brighter core area.

andrew

Just had another break in the clouds 23.30 and it's certainly the comet - just riding above a close chain of five 9 mag or so stars - it looks a bit like a hazy cluster in fact.

andrew

Just had another break in the clouds 23.30 and it's certainly the comet - just riding above a close chain of five 9 mag or so stars - it looks a bit like a hazy cluster in fact.

andrew

I spotted it yesterday in a fairly dense star field west of alpha And. Your description matches what I saw. It has moved a lot since my first sighting (the day before)

Thanks for the feedback Michael, and Moonshane you were right that it is a bright object - and possible easier to observe than Garradd.

andrew

I am going to have to have another go at this when the sky is clear. I found Garradd easily in bins, but this one was hard work with the 10" dob. I wonder if it's still increasing in brightness?

James

I am going to have to have another go at this when the sky is clear. I found Garradd easily in bins, but this one was hard work with the 10" dob. I wonder if it's still increasing in brightness?

James

Well it's clearly brighter than they expected. This report from the Astronomy Now website a couple of days ago:

http://www.astronomynow.com/news/n1210/10comet/#.UHffU2L8dEg

Interesting that it's such a short period, periodic comet.

I tried Hergenrother in bins, but did not find it. I could also not spot it in my 16x70 finder, but maybe I mistook it for a star. Garradd was much more extended, allowing bins to resolve it easily

The comparison I'd make is with M32 and M110. M32 is easy in most scopes and from LP sites is resolved well as it has a tighter brighter core. M110 is much more difficult being diffuse and spread out. From darker sites though I sometimes find M110 is actually easier and more obvious than M32. I'd imagine that from a dark site Garadd would possibly be more obvious in bins and smaller scopes but P168 being relatively small and dense might not be even from darker sites. In scopes though, I'd expect both to be better from darker sites.

Produced a star map from Starry Night Pro and went hunting with my 10" Dob and 26mm Nagler and my 80mm Stellarvue finderscope. Found the comet as per coordinates. The nucleus was about mag 9.5 and I could make out a small tail. Increased the mag by using the 13mm and 8mm Ethos giving me 150x. Pleasing view so hopefully will be able to follow this comet over the week before the Moon returns.

Mark