Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Found sketching tutorial

The Warthog

At great personal risk to myself, and after diligently searching, I found the place where the sketching tutorial is, that I used as my basis for doing the sketches I have shown you here. This gal is very good, and a lovely gal she is, too!

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/517948/page/0/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all

I also turned up this Brit site, which has the sketches in Ridpath's (anybody know him?) book that I mentioned.

http://website.lineone.net/~petergrego/spalunar.htm

The sketches are just below the middle of the page.

Also this site, which uses slightly more difficult methods, but the artist is also very good:

http://www.cloudynights.com/documents/moon.pdf

I hope to be nearly as good as these guys in a couple of years.... 8) I do enjoy sketching; I find I don't really notice the cold or anything else when I'm doing it. That's the mark of a truly relaxing pastime.

I do enjoy sketching; I find I don't really notice the cold or anything else when I'm doing it. That's the mark of a truly relaxing pastime.

Thanks for the links WH :clouds2:

I think I shall try sketching at the scope myself; I want to see wether it improves my seeing ability. 

Steve

That's terrific WH!

Pencils being purchased today!!!

Did you overcome the easel / stand issue? I find that being stood up to the EP makes it awkard to sit down and sketch - hence the reason for lack of production!!

No, I'm still sketching with my knees slightly bent, my arm crooked around my sketchbook, and the torch in my teeth, or held awkwardly in my left hand, but I have an idea of how to make an easel, which I may do over Christmas, as I have next week off.

Be very interested to see how you get on. Been looking at 'normal' easels, but they all require you to draw vertically i.e. in a normal artist fashion. I just wonder if this is going to be too awkward to sketch on. I think 'Yes' is the answer!

What I have in mind is a lectern, on a single leg, that I can hold in position without too much trouble, and incorporating a light, so I don't have to get the torch all sticky holding it in my teeth. This would hold the book more or less flat. If I had a single leg from a wooden tripod, I could make it adjustable.

Archived