Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

10th mag comet

Daniel-K

Yep - I've just picked this one up with my 10" newtonian :smiley:

The finder chart is spot on - thanks Mike73.

Nice tight core embedded in hazy light which appears to fan out to one side. Takes magnification quite well - 150x and it's looking great. Touch brighter than 10th mag perhaps ?.

I'll take another peek when it's higher in the sky - should look even better :smiley:

I'm confused :icon_scratch: , i've tried looking for this comet tonight and two nights ago with no success. I've been using stellarium and the star chart at the beginning of this thread. I even drew a star map to help me star hop to the right place. Stellarium says, the star the comet should be closest to tonight is mag 6.60, i can clearly see that with my scope and i can see the surrounding stars down to mag 10.40. The comet was reported to be mag 10 if not better, so my question is; has anyone observed this comet tonight? Was it in the exact predicted place? And could it have faded to a lower mag?

D.C

tonight it's within about half a degree of psi Pegasi. the finder chart is spot on. easy even with light pollution and high thin cloud with the 16". given dark skies and maybe 6" should be relatively straight forward to see at least.

I centred Psi Pegasi in my 1.1 degree eyepiece (70x) and the comet was at about 10 past on the edge of the field (using a newt). Psi Pegasi is bright orange and the brightest star in the finder when panning right and down from Alpha Andromedae

I'm confused :icon_scratch: , i've tried looking for this comet tonight and two nights ago with no success. I've been using stellarium and the star chart at the beginning of this thread. I even drew a star map to help me star hop to the right place. Stellarium says, the star the comet should be closest to tonight is mag 6.60, i can clearly see that with my scope and i can see the surrounding stars down to mag 10.40. The comet was reported to be mag 10 if not better, so my question is; has anyone observed this comet tonight? Was it in the exact predicted place? And could it have faded to a lower mag?

The magnitude figure might have been integrated magnitude rather than surface brightness. I don't know. I wouldn't have described it as blindingly obvious in my 10" dob though. I think it might be a bit too much to expect of the 130.

James

06/26/2012 4:49pm CST recorded in the Western skies during daylight observations- wide view. I believe around left area of Orion. The Orion Cube can be seen to the right of who I call Merlin a human figure with a blazar beam straight through the center of his body

This may be the false comet in around Orion. Since we pick up so much more detail, radiation, torsion, etc. it is hard to identify some targets.

This comet like object however seems to be composed of three spheroid bodies.

post-26322-0-45167400-1349750827_thumb.j

Archived