Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Daytime viewing

pcardinal42

I sometimes (this morning, as it happens :) image the moon during the day.

It can't be any brighter at night than it is during the day though -- it's still lit by the same amount of light from the sun. The issue is the contrast between the "normal" night-time light levels and looking at the moon through the scope. I find it unpleasant until my eye has adjusted after which it's fine. Of course when I walk away from the scope then find that I'm then blind in one eye :) During the day the light levels are far more similar so it isn't a problem.

The problem I find with looking at/imaging the moon around sunrise/sunset is that the atmosphere can be quite turbulent at those times whereas it's often more stable in the small hours.

James

Hey, I spent about an hour this morning looking at the moon. I've just bought a couple of new eyepieces and rather than wait eternally for a clear night sky, I thought I'd point my scope at the daytime moon to give them a bit of a test run. I got a pretty close look at Tycho, and Clavious and its arc of smaller internal craters. It looked great.

• 4 weeks later...

I quite often set it up during the day to view the Moon. Attempted a view pictures but cant get the contrast right to not overexpose the blue sky around it.

It's quite tricky to get that right, I find.

James

Think this is my latest try at it, i say latest but it was ages ago lol, With the moon being less than half full didnt help either as its quite a bad picture, but i cant find my other attempts. I would quite like to try the Full Moon in the day time, just always seems to be a work day when its visible.

post-21702-0-99096300-1352656058_thumb.j

The Moon is bright specially in large aperture scopes and (don't laugh) I found a cheap lunar filter I already had - a pair of sunglasses! It the EP's eye relief is large enough, they work rather well. When your'e done, take them off and not trip on things from ruined night vision.

I have observed the Moon during the day and have seen a lot more crater detail than the photo shows so I'm wondering if the sky was a bit hazy when the image was taken???

Archived