Narrowband

Dark matter in my collection?

Dunkster

Folks,

I'm making a whistle-stop tour of our US office next week and given there are both Tele Vue and Explore Scientific sales going on wondered if it might be a good opportunity to patch any dark matter holes in my collection...

I have ES 82 in 8.8, 11, 14 and 30mm and a Nagler 20T5 and Ethos 17 (should really decide which of those 2 to keep :( ) and only have f/10 SCTs so far.

Anything I'm missing out on? I'm into seeing everything there is to see! Am I lacking a good planetary? (with Jupiter's opposition coming up this presents an excuse opportunity!)

I would need to order over the weekend, so hit me, fast and furious :eek:

PS I bet the weather in the UK will be great next week, no need to thank me ;):D

Hate to say it but with an 11" SCT I think you are well covered covered by your current set which takes you from 319x to about as much sky as a 2" eyepiece can show (ES30 / 82). 319x would be as much as you need on Jupiter - I get loads of detail from it at half that !

Not much to be gained from moving from ES to Tele Vue at F/10 I reckon.

Dont get rid, I have a 17mm ethos and a 20mm Nagler, it is nice to know there are more like me out there. I still like the 20mm on the LX 200, it give me x152, it is great for globulars. I'm keeping mine. If I were you I would get a 41mm Panoptic to get your maximum possible FOV.

Alan.

Thanks chaps, I had been wracking my grey matter thinking there must be something I need :D

I'm using a C8 as grab, cool and go (it really is light), but also the sky glow is quite bad here and makes me think 30 is about as long FL as I should go.

Glad too I'm not the anomaly I thought, Alan - have enjoyed my Nagler so much I haven't been able to bring myself to part with it. Frivolous I appreciate. Maybe because it was my first TV? :eek:

Great suggestions, thanks folks... keep 'em coming and let's see if we find a winner :D

The trip was sprung on me so I'm totally unprepared. I had ordered a UHC-like filter (DGM NPB) a little while back, hope to get some time with it soon.

When and on what does OIII work best? I don't have a wide field instrument as yet but I do find myself over there a couple of times a year.

Ethos 21... I think I'll hold off until I've got some space time in with the 30mm, as they're more or less the same FOV. Never say never!

Great suggestions, thanks folks... keep 'em coming and let's see if we find a winner :D

The trip was sprung on me so I'm totally unprepared. I had ordered a UHC-like filter (DGM NPB) a little while back, hope to get some time with it soon.

When and on what does OIII work best? I don't have a wide field instrument as yet but I do find myself over there a couple of times a year.

Ethos 21... I think I'll hold off until I've got some space time in with the 30mm, as they're more or less the same FOV. Never say never!

Worth a read:

http://www.prairieastronomyclub.org/resources/by-dave-knisely/filter-performance-comparisons-for-some-common-nebulae/

For my C8, I find that under good skies I really like to use a 7mm. I used to have an LV7, but now have the XW7 which is just great for planetary. The Panoptic 41 is great, but I wonder how much use it would get

I recently sold my TMB Paragon 40mm because since the purchase of a 31T5 I did not use it anymore.

Thanks Michael, everyone.

We have a winner! After an unexpected turn of events, where the US retailer bumbled my order, I now have a ..... XW7 in my possession, thanks to FLO obliging when all hope was lost :D

Now I need sleeeeeeppppp :eek:

Ooh, very nice. I have only had a few looks through my XW7 in the C8 and the views of the moon were astonishingly good. Yesterday I waited till Jupiter had cleared the high hedge on the east of our garden, I put in the XW10, to be treated to a boiling atmosphere (heat rising from the city that lies in that direction). Even the 12mm Nagler was too much, so no point in trying the XW7 under those conditions. I really hope to get a good look at Jupiter this fall.

I'm another fan of the Pentax XW's so congratulations on getting the 7mm. Once you have eyepieces of this quality you have tools for life in my view. The initial investment is higher but years later, when the initial investment is long forgotten, they will still be top performers with whatever scopes you then have.

Thanks guys! Was keen to get the season started with a bang what with the looming opposition of Jupiter (any excuse I know :D )

Hopefully I'll get first light soon... tonight's forecast isn't perfect, but with one thing and another it's been a month since I last got out, so maybe tonight's the night :eek::D

Archived