Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_solar_25_winners.thumb.jpg.fe4e711c64054f3c9486c752d0bcd6f2.jpg

DBushell

Plastic Scope Dustcap holes?

I notice that my telescope has 2 holes in the dust cap, each hole covered by another cap.....it is a stupid question I'm sure, but what are they for?!

David.

Not certain but if too much light as in full moon I leave the dustcap on and just take the small cap off, on the other hand I have put some solar film on the inside of the cap and use it as a solar filter again with the small cap off.

Jim

Hi and welcome to SGL

You'll probably find one is a small cap and the other is the cap holder. This smaller hole is in the main cover so you can use it as a crude moon filter. The smaller hole reduces the scope's aperture and dims the moon's light so you preserve most of your night vision. The other 'cap' isn't a cap but you can push the smaller dust cap onto this one to keep it safe.

I hope this answers your question.

That is the general idea - the trouble is that when you reduce the aparture so much you also lower the resolution (the ability to dee fine details).

Quite useful as I have heard of people being blinded by the moon this past week.

Quite useful as I have heard of people being blinded by the moon this past week.

Well it's been bright but dazzled would probably be a better word - don't want to scare people now do we ;)

Actually though, being really stupid, I'd never thought of converting it to a solar filter!

Right about light reducer.....I also converted mine to a solar filter

Yes me too. I actually found a place that sells them ready made as well http://www.dinodirec...rrency-GBP.html. I think they are made in the US as that is where mine appears to be coming from.

Edited by sologuitarist61

I'd like the chance to be blinded by the moon. Can't remember the last time we had a clear night in Sussex :sad:

• Like 1

I'd like the chance to be blinded by the moon. Can't remember the last time we had a clear night in Sussex :sad:

Ditto Staffordshire too ;)

The one decent night I had opportunity to go out was one evening earlier in the week when I took some pics & video of the Moon and Jupiter.

No opportunity before or since.

I have cloudblindness. It's like being snow blind but far less interesting........

Keep the faith!

Scott.

• Like 1

It is also a useful tool for gaining correct focus. Place dust cover on the tube.  Open both holes, aim skope at a star and use the focuser. Two images  = out of focus. One sharp image = In focus. Job done :)

• Like 1

I thought the main purpose was to reduce heat when using the scope for Solar projecting .Its also handy for splitting bright but difficult binaries. As been said it also provides a means for cheap and easy solar filter fitting .The image is of the back of the dust cap of my Helios 200mm Reflector a small square of Baadar filter taped on with 3M duct tape means a small A4 sheet of film will last years.:icon_biggrin:

bfe1.jpg

bfe2.jpg

Had to keep my main cap on n just remove th small 1 when viewing Venus th other night it was just to much light comn frm it wen removed th small cap it worked a treat nice crescent shape to it didn't half make a difference 

Useful for the solar film I agree. You don't need much aperture for solar viewing.

For viewing other objects, you get the views you would get through a nice 50mm or so aperture unobstructed scope. Less bright but less resolution as well.

Edited by John