SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Plastic Scope Dustcap holes?

Hi and welcome to SGL

You'll probably find one is a small cap and the other is the cap holder. This smaller hole is in the main cover so you can use it as a crude moon filter. The smaller hole reduces the scope's aperture and dims the moon's light so you preserve most of your night vision. The other 'cap' isn't a cap but you can push the smaller dust cap onto this one to keep it safe.

I hope this answers your question.

Quite useful as I have heard of people being blinded by the moon this past week.

Well it's been bright but dazzled would probably be a better word - don't want to scare people now do we ;)

Actually though, being really stupid, I'd never thought of converting it to a solar filter!

I'd like the chance to be blinded by the moon. Can't remember the last time we had a clear night in Sussex :sad:

Ditto Staffordshire too ;)

The one decent night I had opportunity to go out was one evening earlier in the week when I took some pics & video of the Moon and Jupiter.

No opportunity before or since.

I have cloudblindness. It's like being snow blind but far less interesting........

Keep the faith!

Scott.

• 4 years later...

It is also a useful tool for gaining correct focus. Place dust cover on the tube.  Open both holes, aim skope at a star and use the focuser. Two images  = out of focus. One sharp image = In focus. Job done :)

I thought the main purpose was to reduce heat when using the scope for Solar projecting .Its also handy for splitting bright but difficult binaries. As been said it also provides a means for cheap and easy solar filter fitting .The image is of the back of the dust cap of my Helios 200mm Reflector a small square of Baadar filter taped on with 3M duct tape means a small A4 sheet of film will last years.:icon_biggrin:

bfe1.jpg

bfe2.jpg

Had to keep my main cap on n just remove th small 1 when viewing Venus th other night it was just to much light comn frm it wen removed th small cap it worked a treat nice crescent shape to it didn't half make a difference 

Useful for the solar film I agree. You don't need much aperture for solar viewing.

For viewing other objects, you get the views you would get through a nice 50mm or so aperture unobstructed scope. Less bright but less resolution as well.

Archived