Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

MickD

IC1318 – Narrowband in Hubble Palette (sort of)

Started this a few weeks ago when I had some friends around for an astrophoto weekend. Have at last got around to processing it (sorry for the wait Neil....)

I always struggle with Hubble palette (as you can see), but I’ve stopped mucking about with it for a bit.

So details are:-

• Scope : WO FLT98 with 0.8 FR
  • CCD : Atik 383L
  • Guided with PHD on an EQ6
  • 17 x 10 mins Ha
  • 12 x 10 mins SII (bin 2)
  • 12 x 10 mins OIII (bin 2)

Calibrated, aligned & stacked in Nebulosity. Processed in Photoshop.

Far too much tweaking to try to get the colours looking OK.

Tried using this method http://bf-astro.com/hubblep.htm but getting the starting colour histogram to look right was a real challenge.

Oh well may go back to it one day.

Mick

post-6056-0-82054800-1349208934_thumb.jp

• Like 3

Very nice image, i love narrowband images, and this is a lovely example

That's a fantastic result Mick, definitely one to be proud of but I know exactly what you mean about the Hubble pallet. It could be a little more golden... but its very subjective and I certainly like your version. Sometimes these images get pushed a little too hard from a colour point of view. It seems to be all down to processing with the selective colour control in Photoshop... and the person preference / eyes.

I'm ready jealous of both your location and obsy, what's the next target?

Are well, I'll solve my jealous issue this Saturday since I'm off to the TAK shop here in Japan ;-)) Don't tell the wife..!

Let's hope Matt (Slipperysquid) doesn't see this post and doesn't grass me up!!!

Edited by Neil Hankey

Not sure what my next target should be, but need to decide today as its forecast clear here tonight.......

Not wanting to incur the "Wrath of Darth" I shall obey ......small extract from SQM readings for the night attached.

post-6056-0-82656200-1349376971_thumb.jp

I'm really jealous..! Mag. 6 sky's wow... I can only dream of them! I'm going to buy one of these little things for Christmas to see what it says about my sky's, I might be selling in by January... :embarassed: