Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher AZ EQ6-GT Mount Specification, Price & ETA.

FLO

We have updated our Skywatcher AZ EQ6-GT product page to show the new mount's specification and price. Our first delivery is expected this November but it will initially be in short supply. We are genuinely excited and fully expect the AZ EQ6-GT to set a new standard at it's price, much the same as the Skywatcher NEQ6 PRO has.

The price is currently set at £1,495 but we will monitor the competition to ensure our price is competitive when it arrives.

If you would like to be one of the first to use this new mount we have a facility where you can pay a 10% deposit, the balance will then be due when your mount is ready for dispatch. Guess who is already first in the queue :grin:

Steve

skywatcher_az_eq6-gt-geq-mode.jpg

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The RRP sounds a bit expensive for what is essentially an NEQ6 with a different altitude mechanism, but for 1.5x the price of the latter. However, it's about the same as the IEQ45.

Does the £1.5k price tag include the Starbook-like Synscan Tour controller, or does it use the standard Synscan hand controller?

Looks the business!

Can I swap Andrew for one???

Eeer... :grin:

The RRP sounds a bit expensive for what is essentially an NEQ6 with a different altitude mechanism, but for 1.5x the price of the latter.

Whilst Skywatcher have clearly styled it to look similar to the NEQ6 it is a completely redesigned mount with less weight and more load-bearing capacity, not to mention the ability to be used in Alt-Az and GEQ modes and the patented dual-encoder technology.

However, it's about the same as the IEQ45.

I am not familiar with the IEQ45. You'll need to speak with Altair or Olly, we don't stock Ioptron.

Does the £1.5k price tag include the Starbook-like Synscan Tour controller, or does it use the standard Synscan hand controller?

Good question. I expect it includes the more traditional Synscan handset and the other will be available separately, but I'll check :smiley:

Does it have a higher load capacity than the NEQ6 (the site list 25 kg for the AZ-EQ6 but no data on the NEQ6 (20kg according to most listings I have found))

It does but we take manufacturer's payload figures with a pinch of salt. We'll know soon after the mounts arrive.

HTH :smiley:

Whilst Skywatcher have clearly styled it to look similar to the NEQ6 it is a completely redesigned mount with less weight and more load-bearing capacity, not to mention the ability to be used in Alt-Az and GEQ modes and the patented dual-encoder technology.

Good question. I expect it includes the more traditional Synscan handset and the other will be available separately, but I'll check :smiley:

Thanks for clearing that up. I didn't realise the capacity increased. Do you have any more information about this dual encoders? Are the encoders attached directly onto the RA and Dec shafts or are they located on the motors before the worms and gears. Do you know the resolution of these encoder? Are they low resolution types for GOTO/Push-TO (degree/arcminutes accuracy) or high resolution types capable of correcting periodic errors like the ones used in Telescope Drive Masters (arcsecond accuracy)?

Some pictures of the AZ EQ6 are shown with the Starbook-like controller while others show it with the standard controller. This includes the ones in the FLO site (AZ mode with the Synscan Tour, GEM mode with the Standard Synscan).

Keith, I doubt even Skywatcher's UK importers know the mechanical layout of the encoders. The first delivery is scheduled for November and I hope it is a long time after then before we have reason to strip one down :smiley:

PEC control in GEQ mode is included.

I have removed the photo showing the Synscan Tour handset from our website, to prevent confusion.

Here is the specification from our website:

Specification

Payload Capacity: 18kg for imaging and 25kg for visual

Driving resolution: 0.1436 arc second

Go-To Capability: EQ and AZ modes

Synscan Handset Database: over 42,900 celestial objects

Tracking Speed: sidereal, solar & lunar rates

Tracking Mode: EQ or AZ, dual or single axis

PEC control in EQ mode

Autoguider Port : Yes

DSLR Electronic Shutter Release Port: Yes

Motor Type: DC12V stepper motors

Patented Dual-Encoder design allows manual movement without losing positional information

Polar alignment: via software control or supplied polar scope

Alignment methods: 1, 2 or 3 star alignment (EQ) / brightest star or 2 star alignment (AZ)

Telescope Connection: 2 x dual-fit saddle plates supplied accepting 45mm & 75mm dovetail bars

RA/DEC Worm Gears: D=92.5mm, 180 teeth, brass

RA/DEC Axes: D=40mm, steel

Tripod: 2” Stainless Steel

Counterweights supplied: 2 x 5kg

Counterweight Bar: 25mm Diameter

Mount Body Weight: 15.4kg, Tripod Weight: 7.5kg

Power requirement: 12V DC 3A (Sky-Watcher 17Ah Power Tank recommended)

Keith, I doubt even Skywatcher's UK importers know the mechanical layout of the encoders. The first delivery is scheduled for November and I hope it is a long time after then before we have reason to strip one down :smiley:

PEC control in GEQ mode is included.

I have removed the photo showing the Synscan Tour handset from our website, to prevent confusion.

Here is the specification from our website:

Specification

Payload Capacity: 25kg (EQ and AZ modes)

Driving Resolution: 0.1436 arc second

Go-To Capability: EQ and AZ modes

Synscan Handset Database: over 42,900 celestial objects

Tracking Speed: sidereal, solar & lunar rates

Tracking Mode: EQ or AZ, dual or single axis

PEC control in EQ mode

Autoguider Port : Yes

DSLR Electronic Shutter Release Port: Yes

Motor Type: DC12V stepper motors

Patented Dual-Encoder design allows manual movement without losing positional information

Polar alignment: via software control or supplied polar scope

Alignment methods: 1, 2 or 3 star alignment (EQ) / brightest star or 2 star alignment (AZ)

Telescope Connection: 2 x dual-fit saddle plates supplied accepting 45mm & 75mm dovetail bars

RA/DEC Worm Gears: D=92.5mm, 180 teeth, brass

RA/DEC Axes: D=40mm, steel

Tripod: 2” Stainless Steel

Counterweights supplied: 2 x 5kg

Counterweight Bar: 25mm Diameter

Mount Body Weight: 15.4kg, Tripod Weight: 7.5kg

Power requirement: 12V DC 3A (Sky-Watcher 17Ah Power Tank recommended)

Is the tracking accuracy really 0.1436 arcseconds? Even if the error is 0.1436 arcminutes p-p (8.6 arcseconds), it will be much better than most mounts. I'm going to wait for some users review first, but if they really achieve that level of accuracy then I will be very interested in getting one.

True, but at least you can get some relative idea of how much more it can handle than an NEQ6

The maximum paylod quoted seems to depend on which country you live. I have found quotes from 20-25 kg compared to the NEQ6 which is generally quoted at around 16-18 kg. If we accept these figures then the new Skywatcher AZ EQ6-GT can carry 11-56% more than the Skywatcher NEQ6 PRO.

Keep in mind that whilst payload capacity matters it doesn't tell us much about the design and quality of manufacture.

Is the tracking accuracy really 0.1436 arcseconds? Even if the error is 0.1436 arcminutes p-p (8.6 arcseconds), it will be much better than most mounts. I'm going to wait for some users review first, but if they really achieve that level of accuracy then I will be very interested in getting one.

Skywatcher are moving upmarket so we should expect performance enhancements and improvements but we are discussing a mount that has not yet arrived in the UK and we need to hear feedback from owners to really know what it can do. Personally I am confident it will perform well, but I am a retailer... :grin:

Fortunately, if you are reading this you have already found the best source of real-world information because the Skywatcher AZ EQ6-GT's strengths and weaknesses will soon be discussed at length by real astronomers here at SGL :smiley:

Well you have had this years and next Astro budget last week, so all the bugs will be sorted before i have to consider it as a upgrade or not........ :grin:

Okay, we'll leave you a while to lick your wounds :angel:

That's what was said back in February... :smiley:

I hope they have managed to make it lighter. We'll put one on the scales when they arrive.

Hope it's less than the 15.4kgs quoted.. It isn't much less than the neq6 and my backs convinced me to put that on a permanent pier now. For heading out to a dark site a 4kg lighter eq6 would be very tempting!

Great the edits back... :laugh:

Mind you I suppose for imaging the weight helps to stabilize it... ho hum..

Thanks for clearing that up. I didn't realise the capacity increased. Do you have any more information about this dual encoders? Are the encoders attached directly onto the RA and Dec shafts or are they located on the motors before the worms and gears. Do you know the resolution of these encoder? Are they low resolution types for GOTO/Push-TO (degree/arcminutes accuracy) or high resolution types capable of correcting periodic errors like the ones used in Telescope Drive Masters (arcsecond accuracy)?

If your Chinese is any good Keith, the patent that relates to the encoder design is CM201974167U:

http://www.qpat.com/RenderStaticFirstPage?XPN=Dq0fGFDjm1veDp6MswOycrmsLuw/R4oY+QgpgFzVRnM=&n=1&base=FAMPAT〈=en

Happy reading!

Cheers, Pete

The maximum payload quoted seems to depend on which country you live. I have found quotes from 20-25 kg compared to the NEQ6 which is generally quoted at around 16-18 kg. If we accept these figures then the new Skywatcher AZ EQ6-GT can carry 11-56% more than the Skywatcher NEQ6 PRO.

Keep in mind that whilst payload capacity matters it doesn't tell us much about the design and quality of manufacture.

We have been investigating the AZ EQ6-GT payload capacity and after chatting with Skywatcher's UK importer/distributor have revised our quoted specifications to 18kg for imaging and 25kg for visual. We'll know more after the mounts arrive.

HTH :smiley:

Archived