Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Compact ROR observatory

JAS

I decided a couple of months ago to build an observatory, I had intended to make a new thread to follow my progress but kept getting carried away and forgetting to take pics.

I had to make it as small as reasonably possible, and as cheap as possible as my wife had recently been made redundant.

I did take a few pics so I thought I would share them.

This is the pier in place before starting.

DSC_1274.jpg

I took up the decking and changed the frame around to fit the walls onto.

DSC_1275.jpg

The walls are made from galvanised steel off cuts from work folded into 200mm wide panels and bolted together. I then folded long strips into top hat profiles and bolted them along the inside of the walls to stiffen them up.

DSC_1284.jpg

I made a frame for the roof to roll on from some 70mm square alloy tubing I blagged from work.

DSC_1285.jpg

I had 6 large rubber wheeled castors in the shed but they were the swivelling type, so I made some fixed brackets at work for them and bolted them to the roof frame. I ended up with 8 wheels in the end when the father in-law turned up with 2 more exactly the same as I already had.

DSC_0025_zpsf25b25a2.jpg

The walls and floor were lined with breathable roofing felt that I was given by a mate, and the insulation is 25mm loft insulation that I had spare in the loft.

DSC_1287.jpg

I had to buy the OSB board for the roof and to line the walls, and the 3x2 timber for the roof frame. :(

The floor was covered with 18mm ply that my dad had in his garage.

I covered the roof with 0.5mm galvanised off cuts from work.

I didn’t take any further pics of the build, so here are a couple of the almost finished items.

DSC_0019_zpsefadfb13.jpg

DSC_0034_zps42380995.jpg

DSC_0029_zpsc68f5e62.jpg

DSC_0021_zpsb12f9613.jpg

DSC_0026_zps3083ccc3.jpg

DSC_0022_zps3cd22dad.jpg

DSC_0023_zps1806a6c3.jpg

DSC_0030_zpscfe76f02.jpg

I may paint the outside at some point due to the differences in the shades of the steel, I will see what it looks like after the winter.

I still have to put the edging bricks around the outside, insulate the roof and sort out some guttering, but I am happy with the results especially as the grand total has come in at under £200! For reference the fence behind is 5ft tall.

I have used it a couple of times and it has made a world of diference, its so nice not to have to spend half an hour+ to setup only to have to packup an hour later when the clouds have rolled in :smile:.

Jason.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks everyone, I plan to get a lot of use out of it this winter. I have just finished setting up twin monitors in my workshop so I can have full controll from a warm room.

If the weather plays ball I am hopeing to finish off most of the remaining jobs this weekend.

Francis, there is a vacancie if you are an ED80 :smiley:.

Jason.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks guys, I am very happy with it, there has been plenty of wind and rain over the past few weeks and I am relieved to say there have not been any leaks or missing roofs!

The wife has decided I will be making the frame the roof rolls onto into a run for the kids rabbits along with a new hutch. That will be a job for the spring, spending time in the obsy is far more important:D

Jason.

Sent from my LT15i using Tapatalk 2

Thanks, I spent a fair amount of time looking for a dark blue paint, but could not find anything off the shelf. I ended up having to get it mixed in B&Q, it is Dulux Sapphire Springs 1 RB7.

I can't take credit tho I saw the colour used in another thread, don't recall who's.

Jason.

Thanks, I spent a fair amount of time looking for a dark blue paint, but could not find anything off the shelf. I ended up having to get it mixed in B&Q, it is Dulux Sapphire Springs 1 RB7.

I can't take credit tho I saw the colour used in another thread, don't recall who's.

Jason.

Ah, I know the one you mean. It was a good build.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived