Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

My Astronomy Class - M-13 in Hercules

Hi Folks,

Hercules is high in the sky and easy to spot - that means it is time for hunting globulars! Globular clusters can contain up to a million stars, all tightly bound together by mutual gravitation. These clusters tend to form a loose shell or halo around most galaxies - thus they are the most distant thing we can see within our own galaxy.

Try this one out and let us know how you do.

Dan

M-13 Cluster in Hercules.doc

Very good mention. I only spotted M13 last month, for the first time by my own means. I didn't think it was that hard to find either because it was fairly high up at the time.

I even managed to grab a 'snapshot' of it. Not bad for a newbie astrophotographer.

post-15011-0-98307100-1349132782_thumb.j

We had 80 people out in the Astronomy Stadium (I let the football blokes paint silly stripes all over my field and use it during the day... :rolleyes: ). All of us were hunting down the elusive M-13 - and doing a bang up job of it, too. Everyone was able to find this object easily enough, and telescope skills are getting better all the time.

I was using my GLP to show how to hop from Draco to Hercules to Corona Borealis when one kid asks: 'Where's Ursa Major?' When I pointed out that it was mostly behind the hills at our site, I heard a comment come out of the dark: "Drat! Just when I start to learn where things are, the stars move!" :p

Glad you are enjoying it. Watch for the next lab - "Make a Photo/Map of the Moon!"

Dan

Quite a nice shot for a first attempt! Congratulations, Nebula. You get an A on this lab from Dr. Barth! :icon_compress:

Dan

My first attempt at it last night:

8053069842_4457e082ce.jpg

M13 - 03.10.12 by Jimjam111, on Flickr

Unfortunately clouds kept moving across the sky and the lens kept fogging. I think that caused the stripy artifacts but M13 is clear enough.

Not sure if this is meant to be a naked eye object or not? I definitely couldn't see it...

Archived