Narrowband

Let me introduce - 22" dob :)

Pablito

Hi,

I've just finished my the biggest (so far) dob project :) It's 22" F3.7 (FL 2060mm, Lambda/9) truss dobsonian of my own design. It took me only three weeks to make it but my wife almost divorced me ;)

It was worth, just take a look:

post-4616-0-80969600-1349101155_thumb.jp

post-4616-0-08125400-1349101180_thumb.jp

post-4616-0-15081200-1349101198_thumb.jp

post-4616-0-25125300-1349101217_thumb.jp

post-4616-0-73572200-1349101233_thumb.jp

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not very heavy. I predict it weights ca.40-45kg. It still can be moved by one (not weak) person but it balaces on the edge. Primary cage with mirror weights not more than 30kg and I am able to take it alone. Two persons are preffered to install it but not necessary ;)

DOB-ZILLA!! :hiding: on a serious note...how on earth do you move that thing, it's huge, and i'd wager really heavy too.

It's not very heavy. I predict it weights ca.40-45kg. It still can be moved by one (not weak) person but it balaces on the edge. Primary cage with mirror weights not more than 30kg and I am able to take it alone. Two persons are preffered to install it but not necessary ;)

Just goes to show that a well designed big dob doesn't have to weigh a ton..... My 12" Skywatcher weighs 42kg!!!!

Beautiful dob Pablito. :)

I used to make my own surfboards and experimented with carbon fibre twill / kevlar and epoxy and had many frustrating times learning how to laminate with CF so can appreciate the work you have put in. :headbang:

Moonshane, I will put some pics later. I base on CNC machined parts to have everything with proper accuracy. I am also making other 16" dob so I will show you how it may look.

I have trusted mirror maker here in Poland, he make awesome mirrors. I had F/5 mirrors with accuracy at L/12-L/16 range. The best he made for me was L/27!!!

I have another 22" mirror (under my bed ;) ) with L/8 accyracy but with F/3.7 ratio it's still great. In general the slower the mirror, accuracy is better.

Paracorr should be used, I think there will be no choice even with Ethos eps

• 3 weeks later...

There are first sketched made by the owner:

one of theme is a recent asod: http://www.asod.info/?paged=2

He is professional painter ;)

If you think 22" is a really big project, you're wrong ;) I am ordering... 30" mirrors to make another two big scopes :)

P.S.

Moonshane, I still remember about your questions. Will post some pics of 16" scope soon.

Archived